Has anyone had a tumor in their pitutiary gland area? If so, did you encounter lost of menses and weight gain?

i have a tumor in the pitutiary area and now I have gained lots of weight and now my period has stopped. My endocrinologist said that if my period has stopped that I need to be put on calcium for osteoprorsis.

Dear Anon

Thank you for your post and welcome - I'm very sorry to read of your diagnosis but I hope your recovery is well on it's way.

According to the National Cancer Institute, having these tumors can affect a woman's periods because the pituitary gland controls the female hormones connected with our menstrual cycle. Therefore your experience is not an uncommon side effect of your tumor.

How old are you, Anon? And what is your prognosis?

Additionally, I do hope women who have similar experiences to you give you their input on this thread.

We hope to hear back from you!

I am 49 years old. I am an American Indian and I receive my health care through Indian Health Service which is contracted through the government. At the moment they are out of funds and won't receive funds until October 2011. Services there at the hospital are very limited. I would need a referral to get an MRI. Right now there are no funds so I have to wait. In the meantime I am trying not to worry about this tumor if it is growing bigger. Otherwise I am in good health besides having this tumor in the pitutiary gland area. I don't have any prognosis except that I can either get it surgically removed or take medication to make it dissolve. I could develop osteoprosis out of this too. So I am just playing the wait and see game. Does anyone have any other comments? I would like to know that I am not the only woman who is going through this. Thanks.

(reply to Terrilynn)

You are not the only one. I am 45, hispanic and was officially diagnosed with a Pituitary Adanoma early last fall. I have an active tumor that secreets every possible hormone available. In regards to your tumor, if it is active and your insurance is not available then you may want to consider going the natural way. This has helped me immensely.

I too have gained weight and my periods are completely gone. Trying to lose the weight has been quite a battle.

I too am glad to know others that have what I have. This is the first forum that I have been able to find that people have posted so resent.

Pituitary Adenoma

Pituitary Adenoma Guide