Has anyone tried Botox injections to treat bladder spasms or incontinence? If so, what happened?

By HERWriter Guide January 6, 2010 - 5:53pm

I've gotten an inquiry from an EmpowHER member, and need your help to assist her. She sought a second opinion from a new urologist who has recommended the use of Botox injections to treat her bladder spasms. Her primary urologist says he will not do this procedure because he doesn't believe there is enough data available. The treatment is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

She would really like to know if any of you have tried this, and what type of experience you had. Did the process help you? If so, for how long? Was it a treatment of last resort? Would you recommend it to others? Why or why not?

I've done some initial research, and learned that while this isn't an FDA-approved treatment it is being used successfully for some patients. According to the Mayo Clinic, Botox is sometimes injected into the muscles of the bladder to treat incontinence because it blocks the release of chemicals which cause muscle spasms. The injection is given under anesthesia and is effective for nine months to a year. Following are links to Mayo Clinic articles about this procedure:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/urinary-incontinence/treatment.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bladder-control-problems/WO00123

In addition, the following links also provide information on the use of Botox to control painful bladder spasms:

http://www2.wfubmc.edu/articles/Continence+Center/

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CYD/is_20_37/ai_93531942/

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2007/12/05/33254.aspx

http://www.poise.com/Learn/LifeAndHealth/BladderHealth/BotoxHelp.aspx

Since this treatment is not approved by the FDA, it's not usually covered by insurance. Some references said the cost was about $300 per injection, and length of time cited for the treatment's effectiveness was generally cited as between six to nine months.

If any of you can offer information that will assist this member it would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Anonymous

I will be receiving Botox injections in 2 months. I am hoping and praying that things work out. I have read some good and bad feedback about Botox. I am hoping to have good results.

Anonymous

I am participating in a study for OAB and Boxtox injections. The first round Of injections would be a blind test. I would not know if I got Botox or saline, the second round, if I chose to continue, I would be garanteed the Botox. I know I must have gotten the Botox the first round, because it was wonderful, I felt like I was back to normal, with no side effects after a few days. The effects lasted about 7 months and I have no hesitations about doing it again, in fact I can hardly wait. I had a wonderful talented doctor, and maybe women who do suffer bad side effects have doctors that are not as experienced or talented.

Anonymous

I had Botox done about three weeks ago and have had to catherterise myself from day 3. I have had 2 UTI's (have 2nd one at the moment) And the antibiotics I have been given don't seem to be working. I've never taken so many pain relievers in my life. I really wish I had never had it. I was apprehensive about it I should have listened to myself instead of my urologist. I wasn't given any pain relief from the doctor or prophylaxis antibiotics and they still won't give me them I can't wait for it to wear off. I am from New Zealand

Anonymous

I am 45 and have interstitial cystitis and OAB and I tried the botox injection on yesterday and today my life has changed for the better in 1 day-- I use to go to the bathroom every 2 hours - last night was the first time that I was able to sleep through the night getting up only 1 time. I am now able to hold my urine 4-5 hours it's amazing and I will have it done again -- life feels normal again.

Anonymous

I had the botox injections done 2 yrs ago and am going for a repeat course next week. I was fortunate in not having to self-catheterise but the main reason it has lasted so long was I was on a high dose of amitriptyline for depression and that dried up everything - eyes, mouth and bladder. When I cut it down to 50mg I started with the bladder problems again. I don't know how safe botox is to keep having repeat doses and would probably want to try that new drug myrbetriq to see how it worked (which was the other option my urologist gave me 2 yrs ago). Has anyone tried it?

I tried it and it raised my blood pressure. I am taking toviaz which causes dry mouth. Am considering botox.

Anonymous

I had the procedure done a couple weeks ago under general anesthesia. I'm 31 female, & have had a very, over active bladder my whole life....oral meds & limited fluid intake hasnt helped at all. I started having bladder spasms about 6 months ago & my regular md sent me to a urologist. After waking up I had very bad spasms, but just for 15-20 minutes, then they stopped, & had no pain or discomfort since the procedure. The Only problem is the only thing I can tell a difference in is that I don't wake up at night anymore to go. Other than that, I'm still using the restroom around 15-20 times a day. also, I have chronic cluster/tension headaches, & since having the procedure done, I went from having a headache a day, to not having one since!! ??

Anonymous

I had botox injections in my bladder 13 days ago and I have noticed no difference in my frequent urination. The doctor's office told me it may take two weeks to take effect and so far nothing. I had it done before by a different doctor and it worked great-that was 8 months ago.

Anonymous

Yesterday I had my fourth round of Botox for OAB. (Today I went horseback riding) It has been extremely successful for me every time, without side effects (although yesterday I had some cramping - for the first time - for a couple of hours after, but they disappeared completely) I have it done under general anesthesia because that's what my insurance says, but we're pushing for them to allow it to be done in the office. (another story for another day)
Before this I had tried everything from meds to biofeedback to interstim. This is the first and only treatment that has worked for me and I will be continuing it as long as necessary. My problem was so severe that it was afraid I'd become a recluse - I always had a matching pair of pants ready, wore the heaviest pads, and added a pair of tight athletic shorts to help avoid missing the pad, etc.
I'm happy to answer any questions anyone might have and I would encourage anyone to at least consider this method of control.

I am wondering, have you noticed any sexual side effects? I have a tendency to pee when aroused and am wondering if this will help that.