Menopause

Menopause Guide

ask: Having my meridian removed

I have had my 10 yr IUD for 8 yrs and want to have it removed . I will be 50 this year and in full menopause, I have not had a period in two years. Is there anything that I should expect after the removal , will I get peroids and is the process painful?

Dr. Barb DePree Expert HERWriter Blogger

It is possible your IUD, Mirena (?) is the reason you are not menstruating. It it quite common for women who use this form of birth control to have very light/no periods at all. It is FDA approved to treat heavy periods. If that is the case, you may resume periods after removal of the IUD. Other IUDs are not likely to do this.

The process should not be painful.

If you are in menopause then you shouldn't expect to get a period. However, unexpected bleeding can occur with the insertion or removal of an IUD. Ask your doctor what should be considered 'normal' after removal, but again, you should not expect pain and due to being in menopause, periods should not happen.

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :