having the second period after taking emergency contraceptive means that one is not pregnant?

By April 28, 2015 - 4:08am

I am 23 years old and i had unprotected sex on february 27, i took emergency contraceptive the next day within 24 hours. Then on 2nd march me n my fiancé had protected sex, but to be on safe side i took an ecp on next day, on 4 march we got carried away, and protection wasnt used, unfortunately i had to take another ecp the next day. I am afraid of the overdose of the ecps, though i had my period on 14 march, 10 days after taking my last ecp. And my next period came on 20th april. It was comparatively heavy on the first two days. But still i am getting paranoid about getting pregnant n all, do help me out with my doubts. And is there any grave side effect of taking 3 ecp in a short time like i did?

Hi jkforever

Using EC as a method of birth control the way you are will really affect your menstrual cycle, cause a lot of bleeding and add a large surge of hormones to your body. 

Since you've taken it so often, we can't say what any bleeding means or when your cycle will return to normal although it should be within a month. 

There is no distinct evidence to show bleeding means you're not pregnant but it's not likely you are. 

You need to use condoms each and every time (there is no need to "be on the safe side" by taking EC when you use condoms, the E stands for emergency and this is not an emergency) or get yourself on the birth control pill. 

I'm sure you're fine but you may be dealing with an irregular cycle for 4-8 weeks. 

Thank you soo much for your guidance, surely, from now on i am not going to take further risks with my body and will positively use other methods apart from ecp. Most importantly, i wanted to get it cleared that i am not pregnant because i thought taking ecp this way might hamper in its working (i know its wierd to think that)..:( but because i am unable to move out to a drug store and buy a pregnancy test due to my ankle fracture, so i got all scared and paranoid about things.