Lung Infections

Lung Infections Guide

ask: hello i have recent irritating coughs and just today i blew out a reddish orange mucus could this be hazards of smokin or alchol please reply i am worried

i am 20 years old i dont believe it is normal

Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you so much for visiting the website and for posting your question to us. I'm so sorry about your irritating cough that is now producing reddish-orange mucus.

The first thought that came to my mind is that you may have pneumonia. When I've had it in the past this was one of my symptoms. It's scary for sure to cough up anything reddish.

Since you've had the cough for awhile, it's possible you have a mild case that's causing this symptom. Do you also have a fever at all?

I agree with alison b above; I'd go in ASAP to my primary care physician to see what's going on. He or she will probably order a lung X-ray to see if there's any pneumonia present. Please post again and let us know how you are doing. And if we can do anything to improve the website for you, please let me know that as well. I would value your feedback! Best in health, Michelle

Hi,

You are right: reddish orange mucus from coughing is a sign that you should call your doctor.

Do you have a doctor you can call?

Did you know that, without a booster shot, you could contract whooping cough?: