Broken Nose

Broken Nose Guide

ask: Hello. I would like to know how to tell if my daughter has a broken nose?

My two year old was running around today in the park and hit the top of her nose on a metal beam. She cried for a few minutes then went back to playing. ABout 20 minutes later I noticed it was red and slightly swollen. She didn't mention it hurting until I asked about it. Now she keeps saying it hurts? Do you think I should take her to the hospital? I am waiting to call the doctor but they are on lunch.

You may not be able to figure it out alone. Sometimes a broken nose is very obvious - you can see the break in the cartilage and the nose is crooked.

She may have just received a bad bump and you asking her if it hurts has triggered her to say that it does, even if it doesn't (my own experience with kids has taught me this!).

However, the swelling might be indicating a break and it's best to bring her in. There isn't not a lot that can be done for a broken nose but having it seen to and 'set' correctly may eliminate a crooked nose later in life.

I think it's best to get it seen to, especially if the swelling continues.

I wish her the best! Will you update us?