Hello I'm only 25 years old and my gynecologist is sending me for a lap procedure I have tried everything for pain and it's really stress full for me and my boyfriend... Was wondering if anyone has any advise ? Thanks

By Anonymous February 4, 2016 - 3:35pm

We were thinking about getting pregnant in the future but I don't no if I can anymore

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry you're in pain.

A LAP procedure is a set of testing done to check a woman's fertility. Why are you in pain? Do you have a gynecological issue like PID or PCOS? Why does your doctor feel you may be infertile, have you been trying to get pregnant for sometime?

Your doctor will explain the procedure to you in terms of what it means for you in particular. Laparoscopy is a type of surgery done through several small incisions in the abdomen. Small tools and a laparoscope (tiny camera) are placed through the incisions to allow the surgeon to see inside the belly and perform surgical tasks. This type of surgery is very popular, as it usually shortens recovery time. It also leaves only very small scars in most cases.

After you are asleep and do not feel any pain, a needle will be inserted to inject a gas into your abdomen. The gas will make your abdomen expand. This will make it easier to see the organs. The laparoscope will then be inserted through a small hole that is cut in the skin. The laparoscope lights, magnifies, and projects an image onto a screen. The area will then be inspected.

If necessary, several other incisions will be made in the abdomen. Tiny tools will be inserted to take biopsies or do surgery. The incisions will be closed with stitches or clips.

How Long Will It Take?
This varies greatly depending on the procedure

Will It Hurt?
Anesthesia will prevent pain during the procedure. You may have soreness for a couple of days during recovery. Ask your doctor about pain medicine to help manage pain. You may also feel bloated or have pain in your shoulder from the gas. This can last up to three days.

Post-procedure Care
Once home, follow your doctor's instructions , which may include:

Remove the dressing the morning after surgery.
Avoid heavy lifting.
Do not drink carbonated beverages for two days.

You should be able to go back to regular activities in about one week. If the procedure was done to help diagnose a condition, your doctor will suggest treatment options. Biopsy results may take up to a week to come back.

I know it's hard to do but try not to worry about things yet - it's far too early. Modern medicine can do wonders and you have not been diagnosed with anything yet.