help! Birth control...

By June 26, 2015 - 2:38pm

Hello Empowher,

Im on birth control (cilest) and I am going to a festival next weekend. I am due my withdrawal bleed so I have carried on to a new packet of pills without having a withdrawal bleed to prevent this. The festival ends on Sunday, so could I stop taking my pills on Sunday and have a withdrawal bleed then? Or will this mess up my birth control? In My birth control there is Ethinylestradiol 35 micrograms and norgestimate 250 micrograms in each and every pill.

Hello maddybobbitt,

Welcome to the EmpowHER community and thank you for coming to us with your birth control question.

Please consult with your gynecologist before you go ahead with your plan to delay withdrawal bleeding. I do appreciate why you want to do this.

f your doctor says it's OK for you to take birth control pills, it's probably safe to use them to delay your period. However, not all doctors think it's a good idea to delay menstruation.

It's possible to delay or prevent your period with continuous use of any birth control pill. This means skipping the placebo pills and starting right away on a new pack.

Take active pills 6 weeks in a row. You'll need to use two pill packets. Take the active pills from the first packet, discard the remaining inactive pills, and then take the active pills from the second packet. Don't take a break between packets.

Take the inactive pills from the second packet. When you've taken the active pills from the second packet, you'll have taken six weeks of active pills. Take the inactive pills from the second packet during week seven. This is when you'll have your period. To reduce withdrawal symptoms and unscheduled bleeding, your doctor may suggest taking inactive pills for only three or four days rather than the full seven days.