Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)

Teeth Grinding (Bruxism) Guide

Christine Jeffries

ask: Help! I have a fish bone stuck IN my gums!

While eating fish, I accidentally got a very small and very thin fish bone lodged into my gum. The problem is, it's almost completely stuck deep into my gums AND it got lodged in an area right behind my front teeth so it's impossible to even see it. I can't tweeze it out, no matter how hard I try, it's thin and it's in too deep and there's nothing I can pull on. It's not painful but I can feel it inside and I'm freaking out. If I go to the dentist, the only way he could get it out is extract my front tooth and rip my gums open (and I've had that done to me before because a tooth had to be ripped out and it took forever and it hurt like hell and it quashed my blood vessels and it didn't even work). What if it gets infected? What if the bone goes deeper or worse, if it stays there forever? What the hell do I do?! I'm just panicking right now. Please, please, please help me.

misvives HERWriter Guide

Thank you for your question. It appears that your issue is much like a splint that gets embedded deeply and must be removed from a doctor. You should have it removed by your Dentist. You do not want to leave it in there in case of infection.

Good luck,
Missie

Anonymous (reply to misvives)

Thanks for the advice. I went to the doctor this morning but she wouldn't even refer me to a dentist--she says there's no bone in there. But I'm sure there is, I can still feel the tip of the fish bone on my tongue and I can feel it move when I let air pass between my teeth. But it's so thin and so small and it's stuck in such a hidden nook that it's impossible to see it. But if I argue, the doctor would say I'm just imagining things. I wish she were right, I really do. But I know what an abrasion feels like. I've had that several times from thicker, sharper bones and I still believe this isn't just an abrasion.

Do you take selfies?: