Facebook Pixel

Help with services for a 9 year old with Asperger's

By April 20, 2010 - 10:54am
Rate This

My son has Asperger's Disorder. He is now 9 years old. It took me 3 years to get a diagnosis and help in the school setting. Now after all of the *bleep ups* he displays Oppositional Disorder as well. He officially has a diagnosis of Asperger's and ODD. I need help knowing how and where to get services for him....even getting funding for some one to come help him ride a bike, throw a ball properly and how to have play skillls even on his own before and as well as getting into friends and group settings. I need to know if S.S.I. is available for my son and what other resources I can receive, apply for. Help! In PA.

Add a Comment1 Comments

HERWriter Guide

Hi Annacatt

Thanks for your question and welcome!

There are certainly resources for you in PA. You can contact the Asperger & Autism Alliance for Greater Philadelphia here: http://www.ascendgroup.org/

If you are closer to the Pittsburg area, the Autism Center of Pittsburg can help you :


Autism Link has several PA locations:

North Hills Branch
135 Cumberland Rd.
Pittsburgh, PA 15237
(412) 364-1886
Fax: (412) 364-7120

South Hills Branch
666 Washington Rd.
Mt. Lebanon, PA 15228
(412) 343-4303
Fax: (412) 343-4301

Moon Twp. Branch
890 Beaver Grade Rd.
Moon Township, PA 15108
(412) 474-3566
Fax: (412) 474-3575

Sharon, PA Branch
272 East Connelly Blvd.
Sharon, PA 16146
(412) 537-9879

With regard to his ODD (which is more common in boys your son's age, rather than girls - although it evens out later) your therapists will decide (along with you) what the best course of action should be. He may need separate therapy, he may need joint therapy, for both conditions. You will also need a lot of support - I can imagine the pain your son is in, but I think your own pain must be equally as difficult. I hope you have friends and family to lean on - do you?

What has your son's doctor said about his combined conditions? If they believe him to need medical assistance, as well as financial help, then your son may qualify for SSI. This decision is made by the SSI office, along with his doctors, in accordance with PA Disability laws. Talk to your doctors about this and apply via you nearest disability office.

Let me know if this information helps and update on some of our questions so that we can help your further. Thank you so much for looking out for your son so well and for contacting us. We wish all parents to be as caring and proactive as you-


April 20, 2010 - 12:58pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Asperger's Syndrome

Get Email Updates

Related Topics

Asperger's Syndrome Guide

HERWriter Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!