Healthy Eating

ask: Hemp Seed: Provides Healthy Fats, but are there Risky Side Effects?

I have been drinking hemp seed & berry smoothies that I make at home, and I am wondering if there is any of the psychoactive compounds in hemp seed, as there is in marijuana? (I use 2 TBSP of hemp seed daily, if that matters).

The hemp seed has all of the great Omega 3s, Omega 6s and ALA (I don't eat seafood, unfortunately), so I thought this was really healthy for me, and tastes great! (and... I'm really not a "hippie chick" or anything, just trying new types of foods, seeds and nuts).

Anyways, I found out that I'm pregnant with our second child, and I absolutely do not want to ingest anything that may be harmful. I'll ask my doctor in a few weeks, but am wondering if you know if hemp seeds contain THC? I know all the healthy fats are good for a growing baby, but assume the THC would be extremely harmful.

thanks!

Anonymous

this has nothing to do with pot. Flax seeds are questionable during pregnancy. it is simply good to check on foods outside of those you have known lots of pregnant ladies to eat.
i am pregnant and here because asking same question, simply because I don't know the interaction between hemp seeds and pregnancy. I would do same check on any seed that I did not know was preg safe.
peace

Anonymous

Hemp Seed Oil is recognized by the World Health Organization as a natural anti-oxidant and the only balanced (perfect 3:1 ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3) source of Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) and is also a good source of Gamma-Linolenic Acid (GLA).

Hemp Seed Oil has a high content of the enzyme lipase, which is a superior non-invasive chelation therapy for removing plaque build-up (undigested protein and cholesterol) from arteries and cell membrane.
Hemp Seed Oil should be taken daily because EFAs support the cardiovascular, reproductive, immune and nervous systems. A primary function of EFAs is the production of prostaglandins, which regulate body functions such as heart rate, blood pressure, blood clotting, fertility, conception and play a role in immune function by regulating inflammation and encouraging the body to fight infection. Essential Fatty Acids are also needed for proper growth in children, particularly for neural development and maturation of sensory systems, with male children having higher needs than females. Foetuses and breast-fed infants also require an adequate supply of EFAs through the mother's dietary intake.

Anonymous

I started taking hemp today starting with 4 tablespoons and now at the end of the day I am feeling shaky, Is this normal?

Anonymous

I realize this is an old thread, but here is a great site with tons of info on it Manitoba Harvest http://manitobaharvest.com/faq.html#26

It is packed with folic acid, an important factor in a developing fetus.

annawoods04

Hemp seeds can really be helpful for the patients who are diabetic and get relief from any kind of tingling effects.These are also easily available. I would also like to say that as everyone have different capacity to cope up with pain and it also varies from person to person so it is actually very difficult to say about the side effects about the hemp seeds, though it would be much better that you can consult the GP first before you consume it.They would be in the best position to guide you further.

Anonymous

I agree alison, it is hard sometimes to not be extremely excited abut this plant in general. there have been some studies done in the last 80 some years that prove THC indeed kills cancer cells ( http://www.nowpublic.com/thc_marijuana_helps_cure_cancer_says_harvard_study) one example, But for one to find this out all you'd have to do is type key words into googleoryahoo.
So i wouldnt be to worried about this amazing plant doing harm to babies, but understand your caution.

Anonymous

thank god their are people that understand hemp wont kill you!@ hey crazy moms. go let your kids have caffine and sugar/aspartame. because those are drugs that will kill you. sloooooooooooowly.

Anonymous

that is probably bias and definatley ignorant, but its not your fault, the government put a smear campaign on hemp as a plant not just cannabis the drug, do a little reading and realize you are giving your baby all the fats you would get from fish without the mercury.... and there is absolutely no THC in hemp seed period, nothing to break the baby, at least not because its related ot a drug. Its food and a damn good one at that

Alison Beaver (reply to Anonymous)

Thanks for your input, but it would be even more helpful to the original person asking the question if you could provide more relevant information, and leave out the "incidental" snide put-downs ("definitely ignorant, but not your fault").

You said to "do a little reading", and it would be wonderful if you could provide a few of your resources for the person asking to do just that (there are sources that say hemp seed does contain THC, for example, and would be helpful for all readers to view credible sources that say otherwise).

Brock

I second Diane's point of being overly careful especially with another life on the line here. I know I might sound bias and ignorant but "hemp" does not sound that nice for my baby to take. :)

Do you use coconut oil?: