herniated disk or sciatica?

By October 2, 2016 - 3:37am

Thanks for your answers earlier.

I just want to know if herniated disk causes sciatica or both of them are different?

For my last explaining, I would like to add.. Once I am ok with walking, be able to walk normally.. for a while. I try to jog or run but I can not do it.. or once I try to run for few steps my leg would stop as it got numb or tired and I didn't even run a lot just started to run and this would happen.. I am mostly stick for walking only but sometimes I do check or things that I can do and cant. I also have noticed I can't lift things even if they were not that heavy or hold them for a while. I "sometimes" too I feel like I have to go to pee really quickly but once I go to the toilet I wouldn't pee that much but I got that feeling. I dont have diabetes.

Thank you in advance!

Hi MsSofiaLee

Thank you for your post.

The spine is made up of stacked discs (among other components) and the discs are soft on the inside and harder on the outside. If the softer part on the inside pushes out, this is known as a herniated disk or a slipped disc and can be very painful.

A herniated disc can certainly cause sciatica.

Injury or pressure affecting the sciatic nerve is called sciatica. It is a symptom of another medical problem which must be treated in order to relieve the sciatica.

The sciatic nerve is the longest nerve of the body, running from the lower spine down the back of the leg. It controls the activity of muscles in the lower leg and the back of the knee. It's the origin of sensation in the back part of the thigh, some of the lower leg, and the bottom of the foot.

Sciatica can be the result of a slipped, or a herniated, disk in the spine, tumors, or pelvic injury. It may be caused by a pain disorder in the buttocks called piriformis syndrome.

Regarding the urination issue, we can't say if this is connected to your sciatic pain. You may have what's called overactive bladder. You can read more about that here: http://www.empowher.com/overactive-bladder/content/does-overactive-bladder-limit-your-social-life

Sciatica

Sciatica Guide

Guide