Hi, I started my period on May 20th and i currently still have it, it usually lasts about 7 days, when should I start trying to conceive once my period ends.

Anon, here's a great calculator -- it's a pregnancy calculator but it allows you to put in the first day of your last period and the number of days of your cycle, and it tells you your most fertile days and your most likely day of conception:

check it out; it's a pretty cool thing.

Here's the way days are counted:

First day of your period: Day 1 of your cycle
Middle of your cycle -- usually between days 10 and 14 of your cycle if your cycle is 28 days long
Last day before new period: Last day of old cycle

First day of next period: Day 1 again.

Is this all helpful to you?

Hi Susan

To be more accurate which day should I start trying to have a baby, it does look like my period is ending, I know last month I had my period on April 15th and this month was May 20th, so I'm a little confused on when is the right time that I will be ovulating. I really need your help on this. My fiance really wants a baby and we've been trying for about 3 months now and every month when I get my period I see the disappointment in this face, like he failed.

If you are very regular, you may want to start on day 10 and right through to day 20. Women - on average - ovulate on or around day 14 and ovulation is a mere 72 hours. But you will need to give or take several days, taking into account that our cycles can change month to month, even if we are like clockwork normally.

After your period is done (say, day 8 in your case) having sex every other day will ensure you do not miss ovulation. Sperm stays alive in the body up to 72 hours so daily sex is not particularly necessary (but go for it if you like!). While sex every other day doesn't guarantee conception, it does allow you to have the best chance possible of not missing ovulation.

There are other methods : ou can also chart your cycle or take your basil body temperature. You can buy an over-the-counter ovulation kit - but I think you're better off having sex every other day. It's the least complicated and most spontaneous way of trying to get pregnant.

Make sure your diet is good and you are taking supplements (as well as folic acid) in order to give your body - and any potential little passenger) the best start!