Hi! Quick question. I actually ran a marathon this weekend, and thanks to sweat and water, my sunscreen didn't hold up as well as anticpated. My face was literally "torched" by the sun - blisters and beyond red. What can I do to mitigate the damage?

By June 9, 2011 - 10:14am

In addition to mitigating the potential long term damage done by this burn, what also can I do to heal this quicker. And - does anyone have any recommendations for sunscreen that holds up through sweat and water during marathons and triathlons? Can't have this happen again!

Thanks Susan!

Yes - I might have to look into the sunblock next time in addition to the sunscreen. I won't paint my face all over with the block, but definitely maybe under my eyes and nose. And, I think a hat would be prudent. I am NOT a fan or running with them, but if it'll save my skin in the long run, I'll reconsider :)

Thanks again for the suggestions, and I'll keep an eye out on the blisters. My skin is definitely in "healing" mode right now though - as the blisters have turned into scabs now. Which - I guess is somewhat good news, but then bad as well, as it is starting to peel... and I'm not a fan of the discoloration of my skin. Ugh.

The moisturizing has been key for me so far... aloe was good, then it just started to sting.

Hi Swimrunner

Thanks for your post and ouch on your face.

Blisters or that kind of damage can sometimes leave scars so watch for that .

You can try natural remedies like a yogurt and honey mask, as well as peppermint (for cooling) (20 mins) and lots of aloe vera.

Moisturize a lot to stop peeling and ease any wrinkling you may have. And hydrate from the inside too, with lots of water. I have also heard of bathing in milk - it's apparently quite soothing.

Another method that does really soothe is soaking tea bags (until they are very well soaked/water is quite dark) and use them as an eye mask and also dab them all over your face while reading or watching TV. Apple cider is talked about for the body but do not use it on your face.

You may find you peel, despite all you do. Also, if the blisters get really bad, go to the doctor, you could be left with scarring that's difficult to fade or even an infection when you skin is that exposed.

In terms of sunscreen - a waterproof, that's above the #15 factor is best but consider using a 30. I use a 50 on my kids and myself.

But when doing an event like you do, consider sunblock on your face, not sunscreen. Sunblock is visible - like a streak of white or colored paint in your nose or forehead etc and it PHYSICALLY blocks out EVERYTHING. In contrast, sunscreen is a CHEMICAL block. Using sunblock it on your whole body isn't really practical and it's hard to get it off but definitely do it for your face, next time you do an event like this. It'll be worth it.

I hope this helps and get better soon!

Sunburn Guide