hi.i am irfana. i trying to conceive.i have thyroid. the doctor said it is perfectly normal.but i dont get get my periods. help me sum 1

By Anonymous December 17, 2010 - 8:49am

thank u alison, i pretty much understood abt the hibernation diet. i read it completely actually, but i know u recommend not to take honey at all. i really appreciate ur advice coz i was in the dilemna whether or not to take. i eat 2 meals per daly, the brunch and dinner and i take egg 1ce in 4 days, is it gud actually. i am not seeing any nutrionist or health care provider.the thing is why do i get loose stools only one the day of eating honey, is it doin sumthin with my body, for a matter of fact i wud like u 2 know that am a psoriasis patient 2, i am at present controlling it with no medication, coz i tried a lot medications, 2 many but nothing responded so i am following this rite now wich is absolutely workin.i really need help.
thanks 4 ur support till yet.

once again, thank u for u suggestions and ur advice. i wud like tell u that, i take a spoon of honey, in lukewarm water every mornin, wich makes me have a loose stool, my mom suggested this method for me for losin weight. is it a gud method, am really concerned, bcoz, i dont wanna increase my weight on the contrary by doin this. i do yoga. i have cut down my snacks, and reduced a litttle bit of my food, i thought that if i cut down more at the same time, maybe it will affect my health. i have 173 units in total cholestrol and 14.2 units in haemoglobin, is it k. the gynac said it was absolutely perfect. i am really tryin harder to put down my weight hope i suceed in it.

(reply to Anonymous)

Hi irfana,
Your mom is most likely referring to the "Hibernation Diet" in which you take a spoonful of honey before bedtime. It is not with the purpose of causing loose stools (having a loose stool does nothing for weight loss, as your food and calories are already absorbed by your body), but to help with blood-sugar levels at night. You can read more about it here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/338481-tablespoon-of-honey-diet/, but there is no scientific evidence to back up this claim. It has not been proven to reduce weight.

What has been proven to reduce weight: reducing calories that you eat, and increasing calories that you "burn" (exercise).

A spoonful of honey contains 64-100 calories and about 17 grams of carbohydrates. Instead of using your calories on honey, you could be eating (and filling up on) an entire apple, banana, bowlful (not just spoonful!) of berries (blueberries, strawberries), two mangoes...there are so many options for 100 calorie fruit and vegetables!

Do you have access to a Nutritionist or other health care provider who specializes in nutrition, food or weight loss?

Hi Irfana!

It's nice to hear from you again!

I see that unfortunately you are still dealing with thyroid issues and are yet to be pregnant.

Can you tell me how long now you have been trying to get pregnant. I know that you are under the age of 25 so this is a good thing, inasmuch as your body has plenty of time yet, to have babies!

When you say your doctor is saying your thyroid is "normal" what does he mean by that? Does he mean it's normal to have fertility issues if you have a thyroid condition OR is he saying that your thyroid is now back to normal?

Again, please let me know how long you have been trying at this stage and let us know more about how your thyroid is.

hi susan,
nice to hear from u 2. i took the thyroid tests recently bcoz, i didnt get my periods for the past 2 months, the thyroid result came perfect, she said there is nothin rong with my thyroid, and gave me a tablet for my periods and askedme continue the same medicines, and s am actually obese so she advised me to put down my weight to get my further periods. i have been trying to concieve for the last 6 months, but i cud not take my thyroid tabs properly before 3 months, now am perfect with, hoping to get my next period by 2 or 3rd of jan.
i also want guidance 4rm u on how to cut down my weight, wat kind of diet shud i follow.

Hi again Irfana!

Thanks for the update and I'm glad your thyroid is back to normal. Being under the age of 35, you will have to try for a baby for 12 months before doctors will see both you and your husband for infertility issues.

I'm glad you are taking steps to lose weight as being obese can definitely be a factor in infertility (but with your thyroid back to normal, you may see a natural weight loss begin now).

For weight loss, eat no more than 1500 calories per day (check with your doctor first as everyone's circumstances are different) and eat fresh, healthy fruits, vegetables and whole grains, along with lean protein. Limit your fat, salt and sugar intake. For more tips, we have an excellent Healthy Eating page here: http://www.empowher.com/diet-nutrition/healthy-eating/experts

Let me know what you think and good luck in your pregnancy quest!

Infertility / Fertility

Infertility / Fertility Guide