Q: 

Hip pain in middle of the night; dull ache that wakes me up. What could it be?

By Anonymous April 28, 2009 - 1:11pm

I am in my mid-30s, and have recently been having pain in my hips in the middle of the night. It reminds me of the RLS (restless leg syndrome) commercials, although I do not have any of these symptoms (no needle-sensation, no crawling-sensation). It is a dull ache, and I try to move my hips and legs around to get rid of the pain (it feels like it is deep inside, not a muscle or bone), but moving it seems to irritate it a little more. It is actually not on my hip bone, but closer to the middle of my "gluteus maximus" on each side. It's been happening the past few weeks, always around 2am or 3am and wakes me up.

I've been taking some ibuprofen, and eventually falling back asleep, but would rather not have to keep taking medication.

When I was pregnant with my child 3 years ago, I had a real problem with my sciatic (spelling?) nerve in my hips. Feels similar, but not the same.

Any suggestions?

Anonymous

It sounds like bursitis. I have had it on and off for last 15 years, I was about your age when it started. At its worse I couldn't even dress my bottom half in the mornings and had to have steroid injections and even surgery was considered. Over the last 2 or 3 years it's got much better but I still get the pain if I lay too long on my hip and for about an hour after waking. I find if I get up when the pain starts and walk about a bit then go back to sleep it's not so bad but if I stay in bed for more than 7 hours it's terrible. Bursitis is mainly caused by uneven walking, carrying a heavy bag on one shoulder for example can cause you to walk unevenly as does cross country walking or running (the cause of mine), some people even have one leg slightly shorter. A 'bursa' of fluid develops at side of hip, mine was so bad I could actually see the bulge. If its Bursitis it will feel tender when you press on this area .

All I can say is that you kind of get used to the pain after a while and as long as you don't overdo it and keep moving it does get better.

Anonymous

My Doctor suggested Pilates to strengthen core.

Anonymous

I took vitamin D3 5000 mg and it did the trick for me. I had terrible deep achy pain in my hips and upper legs. My chiropractor recommended large doses of D3 whenever you have lower body achiness. Not sure why it works but it does for me. Also helps my mood. Best wishes for good health everyone.

Anonymous

Once my doctor told me to take magnesium. I took it once or twice, no hip/ leg pain for a very long time but now it is starting again. I'm going back to get more magnesium to try it again. (first bottle expired on me)

I think you're right! I was in pain and started taking many vitamins. I stopped a magnesium -calcium complex and the pain started up. Calcium for joint issues related to my thyroid-just got extra magnesium for my immune system with colds and it helped the aches. going back on it tonight!

Anonymous

I have the same issue when I lay on either side to sleep. The left side hurts more though. I've tried a pillow between my knees, but that doesn't help much. Besides a dull ache, it feels like whichever side I'm lying on, that leg (thigh, behind the knee & calf) seem to have that feeling of 'falling asleep'. It's SO uncomfortable to the point of pain. When I lay on my back, it's all fine. I'm a side-sleeper, but I guess for not much longer!

Did you ever find out the problem?
My left leg "falls asleep" too and both hips are achy at night.

So happy to hear some one else has this. No pain til I lay down and try to rest. My hips ,legs hurt so bad I can't rest. What is this?

I wrote the comment right before yours....I'm thinking bursitis of the hip. If there's a spot somewhere on your hip that you barely have to touch & there's pain (like on the skin even), everything I'm seeing points to bursitis. Doctor appt. on April 6....maybe she'll have more of an idea.
Good Luck!

You literally just described my situation perfectly! Have you found anything that works for you? And I mean ANYTHING! I'm only 28 and can't have hip problems! lol but anyways, it wakes me up sometimes even during an hour or so nap, or several hours into bedtime. I don't know what to try or do. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Sciatica

Sciatica Guide

Guide