Hip pain in middle of the night; dull ache that wakes me up. What could it be?

By Anonymous April 28, 2009 - 1:11pm

I am in my mid-30s, and have recently been having pain in my hips in the middle of the night. It reminds me of the RLS (restless leg syndrome) commercials, although I do not have any of these symptoms (no needle-sensation, no crawling-sensation). It is a dull ache, and I try to move my hips and legs around to get rid of the pain (it feels like it is deep inside, not a muscle or bone), but moving it seems to irritate it a little more. It is actually not on my hip bone, but closer to the middle of my "gluteus maximus" on each side. It's been happening the past few weeks, always around 2am or 3am and wakes me up.

I've been taking some ibuprofen, and eventually falling back asleep, but would rather not have to keep taking medication.

When I was pregnant with my child 3 years ago, I had a real problem with my sciatic (spelling?) nerve in my hips. Feels similar, but not the same.

Any suggestions?

Anonymous

I am 55 and have exactly the same problem with my left hip. A recent x-ray has identified osteo-arthritis. My GP has advised a healthy diet and exercise if possible. I run on the treadmill twice a week at the gym without difficulty - for now. There isn't really any treatment and hopefully it won't deteriorate too rapidly. I will be trying the pillow suggestion.

Anonymous

Here's the solution, take a long pillow (body pillow) and place between your legs lengthwise -starting mid-thigh or higher and running down beyond your ankles. I used to flip back and forth *due to hip/leg pain 10-11 times a night - now maybe 1-2 times, if at all (only if the pillow slips out) - it must run the full length of your legs. I have passed this on to others (family / friends) and all claim it to be a miraculous solution. I hope this helps you - I know how bad it can get + losing 2-3 hours a night of sleep tossing and turning...sleep well my friends.

Anonymous

Interesting, I am up now at 6:00 a.m.from which sounds like the EXACT same thing. Did you receive any relief from all of the suggestions. I think the deficiency potassium I will try and watching the Pelvic is not sagging. Reading this triggered a problem I have from doing that so maybe it's causing this problem as well. It's something we do that you don't even notice you are doing and that is letting your hips sag. You can actually feel the improvement when you go into pelvic tilt mode for standing, walking etc. It's something you have to consciously be aware to stop standing as such. I would be interested to know if you got relief?

Anonymous

I've had the same thing in the past. It got to where it felt like my bed was a board. I got a new, soft, memory foam mattress and I haven't awakened to the hip pain since. Maybe that would help. Just FYI, I got an iComfort mattress by Serta.

I got a I comfort mattress by Serta, a memory foam (2") topper, I STILL have very bad hip pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sleep with the long pillow between my legs, NOTHING!!! I have done and tired it all.....now what, I'm running out of money on this quest! I think it's all crap, I have to live with pain and no sleep!

Sounds like either your hips or low back could possibly be out. I'm a 33yr old male, and not overweight. That is the cause of mine. A few visits to the chiropractor normally takes care of it for me. Along with some stretching. Their are a few stretches that are designed to stretch you out just for your hips.

Anonymous

I had this!

Go get a massage and have them work on your glutes, your iliac crest and your IT band.

Best money I ever spent, fixed me right up.

I don't know what triggered me to tighten all up, but that fixed it.

(I'd googled for answers, wish someone had recommended it, coming back to posts now to share since it worked for me)

Whenever you walk, make sure (a) lift yourself / your stomach up so you're not sagging into your hips, and (b) consciously 'engage' your butt muscles to participate.

Anonymous

Could it be that your bed in your new house is positioned exactly level, whereas it wasn't in your old house? Maybe there's also been a change in your personal situation? I get the pain you describe whenever I sleep on a surface that isn't level, for instance on the couch, or when I sleep beside a person that's heavier than me, causing the matress to slope slightly in his direction. I think that in my sleep, I sort of strain against gravity, causing a cramp-like ache in the hips, which wakes me up eventually. Changing position helps, but inevitably, the pain will return after half an hour or so. I never get it when I sleep alone in a good bed. I've never read about this, but some of my friends have the same trouble, and when I asked if it could be the sloping mattress, they said yes, that must be it! Personally, I'm convinced that this is it, and while I can't always avoid it, I'm happy it's nothing I can't control... Hope this is of help for you!

Anonymous

These symptoms are quite common if you have a potassium deficiency. I have experienced this myself. Make sure you are getting enough potassium, calcium +D3, and magnesium. Deficiencies in these often result from a poor diet or even a restrictive weight loss regimen. This pain happens for me when I am significantly reducing my calories during a fast, but it's totally correctable. Good luck!

Anonymous

I have had a bone density test which showed a little arthritis in my hip. The pain only occurs in the very middle of my right hip (I sleep on my right side) and comes in the middle of the night. Every night I have to sleep with a pillow between my legs and need to have a thin flat pillow under my hip. As long as the pillow stays under my hip during the night I am completely pain-free.

Sciatica

Sciatica Guide

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :