Hip pain in middle of the night; dull ache that wakes me up. What could it be?

By Anonymous April 28, 2009 - 1:11pm

I am in my mid-30s, and have recently been having pain in my hips in the middle of the night. It reminds me of the RLS (restless leg syndrome) commercials, although I do not have any of these symptoms (no needle-sensation, no crawling-sensation). It is a dull ache, and I try to move my hips and legs around to get rid of the pain (it feels like it is deep inside, not a muscle or bone), but moving it seems to irritate it a little more. It is actually not on my hip bone, but closer to the middle of my "gluteus maximus" on each side. It's been happening the past few weeks, always around 2am or 3am and wakes me up.

I've been taking some ibuprofen, and eventually falling back asleep, but would rather not have to keep taking medication.

When I was pregnant with my child 3 years ago, I had a real problem with my sciatic (spelling?) nerve in my hips. Feels similar, but not the same.

Any suggestions?

Anonymous

I took vitamin D3 5000 mg and it did the trick for me. I had terrible deep achy pain in my hips and upper legs. My chiropractor recommended large doses of D3 whenever you have lower body achiness. Not sure why it works but it does for me. Also helps my mood. Best wishes for good health everyone.

Anonymous

Once my doctor told me to take magnesium. I took it once or twice, no hip/ leg pain for a very long time but now it is starting again. I'm going back to get more magnesium to try it again. (first bottle expired on me)

I think you're right! I was in pain and started taking many vitamins. I stopped a magnesium -calcium complex and the pain started up. Calcium for joint issues related to my thyroid-just got extra magnesium for my immune system with colds and it helped the aches. going back on it tonight!

Anonymous

I have the same issue when I lay on either side to sleep. The left side hurts more though. I've tried a pillow between my knees, but that doesn't help much. Besides a dull ache, it feels like whichever side I'm lying on, that leg (thigh, behind the knee & calf) seem to have that feeling of 'falling asleep'. It's SO uncomfortable to the point of pain. When I lay on my back, it's all fine. I'm a side-sleeper, but I guess for not much longer!

I am a 47-year-old male and get the dull ache in the muscles of the left hip. As stated in the original post, it reminded me of restless leg syndrome, though I knew it was not. It happens when I lay on my right side and feels worse if I put a pillow between my legs. In the larger scope, it is not painful, but a mild ache, though it often can keep me from a good nights sleep.

What I find helps is to stretch some of the muscles in the outer hip area. The harder part was finding a way to isolate the exact muscle that is causing me grief. I had to play around to find a way to stretch only that muscle. One way is to lay on your back and pull the knee of the offending hip towards your chest and then inward towards the bodies midline until you feel the muscle stretch. This always works for me.

I think laying on my right side makes my upper hip roll inward, which causes the ache, though I am not completely sure. I hope this helps.

Anonymous

Im curious this is just all women with these complaints mainly. If there is any back pain/trauma and difficulty having intercourse... This has been my quest, but I was diagnosed over a year ago with secondary vaginismus, I am now pregnant, not having any pelvic therapy for about 11 months and 17 weeks pregnant. I too get this overwhelming pain and only get a few hours of sleep a night and constantly toss and turn only to wake up my husband. I use pillows all around me and in between my thighs and knees with no releif.. 2 inch memory foam topper.

Anonymous

i finally went to doctor and had an MRI which revealed a torn labrum and tendinitis (from old rodeo injuries and other sports injuries which were totally neglected as children growing up in the 70's and 80's.) Then to the Orthopedic Surgeon who recommended physical therapy first before considering surgery. I reluctantly agreed to PT thinking I needed a quick fix operation and PT was just preliminary BS needed by insurance companies. How wrong I was. The PT worked and fast... my hip pain eased up and then went away after 6 weeks. There were 2 specific manual therapies my PT used that I feel did the trick. Basically a rolling pin type device that she rolled on my IT band - extremely deep hard pressure. Then...... pressing her fingers and thumb in my groin at labrum injury site and going to town with deep deep tissue manipulation. Not going to lie, it hurt like hell! The first time she did it, a few tears popped out of my eyes from pain but I know from receiving years of deep tissue massage that it helps. I mean she was up on the table damn near straddling me but I could feel the scar tissue breaking up and popping inside. So glad I didn't insist on surgery and am now a believer in PT for sure! I have no more hip pain, no more sleepless nights tossing and turning, and no surgery required!

Anonymous

I am 55 and have exactly the same problem with my left hip. A recent x-ray has identified osteo-arthritis. My GP has advised a healthy diet and exercise if possible. I run on the treadmill twice a week at the gym without difficulty - for now. There isn't really any treatment and hopefully it won't deteriorate too rapidly. I will be trying the pillow suggestion.

I would stop running immediately. It is the hardest exercise on the hip joint - I know from experience. If you can tolerate a cross trainer/elliptical or some non-impact exercise I would do it!

Anonymous

Here's the solution, take a long pillow (body pillow) and place between your legs lengthwise -starting mid-thigh or higher and running down beyond your ankles. I used to flip back and forth *due to hip/leg pain 10-11 times a night - now maybe 1-2 times, if at all (only if the pillow slips out) - it must run the full length of your legs. I have passed this on to others (family / friends) and all claim it to be a miraculous solution. I hope this helps you - I know how bad it can get + losing 2-3 hours a night of sleep tossing and turning...sleep well my friends.

Sciatica

Sciatica Guide