Sciatica

Sciatica Guide

ask: Hip pain in middle of the night; dull ache that wakes me up. What could it be?

I am in my mid-30s, and have recently been having pain in my hips in the middle of the night. It reminds me of the RLS (restless leg syndrome) commercials, although I do not have any of these symptoms (no needle-sensation, no crawling-sensation). It is a dull ache, and I try to move my hips and legs around to get rid of the pain (it feels like it is deep inside, not a muscle or bone), but moving it seems to irritate it a little more. It is actually not on my hip bone, but closer to the middle of my "gluteus maximus" on each side. It's been happening the past few weeks, always around 2am or 3am and wakes me up.

I've been taking some ibuprofen, and eventually falling back asleep, but would rather not have to keep taking medication.

When I was pregnant with my child 3 years ago, I had a real problem with my sciatic (spelling?) nerve in my hips. Feels similar, but not the same.

Any suggestions?

Anonymous

I have developed hip pain over the past 2 years, shortly after being diagnosed with Rhumatoid Arthritis and medication is managing that well. I would wake up every night, tossing and turning. My RA doctor didn't pay much attention to this, but I have, by elimination, may have found what exacerbates the pain for me and this is sugar. So I try not to have any sugar or sweet things to eat some hours before bed. Also I have switched to soy milk - this might sound a bit odd, but for now I haven't had the painful hips for several weeks. I am wondering if anyone else has discovered the pain could be associated to foods with sugar?

Thanks for the comments. I was raised on sweet tea and being in the south, it is REALLY sweet. I don't make it at home (or I would drink to much), but when I go out to eat, I usually get it to drink. I am going to start paying special attention to see if the sugar intake is making a difference in my hip pain at night. Thanks for the suggestion. I don't want to take drugs and am a firm believer that what we consume has a big outcome on the way we feel. It is not the cause ALL the time but I want to explore that possibility.

Anonymous

I also have had this dull ache wake me out of deep sleeps consistently for about 8 years. I sleep with a heating pad and it at least gets me to sleep again. 6 years ago I had a cyst removal surgery that went all wrong - had complications that gave me a full incision across my abdomen. During that surgery I was diagnosed with Stage 4 endometriosis. A horrifically painful condition. Tried Lupron- too many side effects. Traveled to NYC to do endometriosis excision - helped for about 8 months until the endo came back. Last resort, I had a full hysterectomy via DaVinci robot. That was 2 years ago ----- still suffering with 'hip' pain at night. Always seems to be the worst at night. Tried PT and now chiropractic ----still in pain.

I just happened to wake up right now from experiencing this hip pain, I took a Holy Basil capsule and then looked it up and found this. I am an endo sister too and have had partial hysto. Both ovaries and multiple surgeries. The pain is in my thigh too. I've tried heating pad but gives me hot flashes. I'm miserable. Please tell me if this went away. I pray it did.

Anonymous

I, too, have had this painful, dull nagging ache in my right hip near my buttocks. I had it about a year ago and ended up going to a really excellent chiropractor who created a six week plan to include stretches, exercise, tens, massage therapy and adjustments. By week three of six, I was back to normal and felt amazing. However, after six weeks, I didn't continue for the occasional stretch/adjustment and now, a year later, I'm back experiencing the same issues. Advil PM or Zquil seem to be the best solution until I can financially get back to the Chiropractor.

Anonymous

I was taking LOPID for cholesteral. I took the pill before going to bed and would wake up with hip pain. When I stopped taking the medication (replaced it with fish oil) my hip pain went away completely.

Anonymous

Hello!

I just found you website when googling hip ahce!

You really should update your comments on hip aches.

You need to mention

dysplasia (a shallow socket)
Impingement
Labral tears

In a recent survey, we found that in 100 consecutive patients who were seen in our young adult hip clinic, that the average age was 28, but the average onset of symptoms was 19.5 yrs. Patints had been seen by 2.3 surgeons to be told that there was nothing wrong with their hips.

We made an accurate diagnosis of important hip pathology in 97% on the first day.

Nearly all of them went on to need operations.

Our website, the-hip-clinic.com and many others will help put you right!
Best wiahes
John O'Hara

I have had repairs of labral tears in both hips, as well as impingements "sanded" down. Unfortunately, I still suffer from acute hip pain if I try to sleep on either side (the hip joint seems to "jam" into the socket). I've lost 45 lbs. since the last surgery, but have not experienced any improvement in the pain. I have about 30% bone loss in the left (worse) hip, and am facing a hip replacement. I'm trying to put that off due to my age (53). Now I'm experiencing sever thigh and foot muscle spasms, chronic insomnia, joint pain in the right knee, and can barely walk when I get up in the morning due to severe pain. I know my T3 is low, and recently my estrogen and testosterone levels are hardly detectable in my blood work. I've just started hot flashes, and am considering pellets under the skin.

Suggestions? I'm miserable.

gigiwalt

If I sleep too long in the same position, I wake up in horrible, horrific hip joint pain. (It has happened to me with my arm/shoulder when I sleep too long with my arm over my head. But it is far more prevalent with my right hip.) I've had an x-ray done in the past but no issues. After researching and talking to my doctor, I believe it's just what I said: sleeping too long in 1 position + age + all the activity I have done over my lifetime that my body is now "complaining" about. LOL. So far I've found no magical fix for it, other than moving around and stretching my hip joint as much as I can stand. Good luck, ladies!

Anonymous

age 50, both at night and when walking for any length of time hips ache. also knees seem stiff. occasional lower back pain and sleep starts. insomnia and nocturia. main bread winner and work varies between sitting, standig bending, squatting and pushing /pulling large items. lack of sleep leaves me tired and am afraid of causing a car accident while driving. no other exercisr though seem to work harder at home than work currently clearing two rooms of hoarded junk some of which is awkward in shape or heavy.vegetarian so fish oil/green lipped mussel out and eat nuts 4days a week so doubt lack magnesium.stiffness and deep aches not sharp pain.also sleep starts can be quite violent spasms of head/neck shakes. any ideas? sunny.