Sciatica

Sciatica Guide

ask: Hip pain in middle of the night; dull ache that wakes me up. What could it be?

I am in my mid-30s, and have recently been having pain in my hips in the middle of the night. It reminds me of the RLS (restless leg syndrome) commercials, although I do not have any of these symptoms (no needle-sensation, no crawling-sensation). It is a dull ache, and I try to move my hips and legs around to get rid of the pain (it feels like it is deep inside, not a muscle or bone), but moving it seems to irritate it a little more. It is actually not on my hip bone, but closer to the middle of my "gluteus maximus" on each side. It's been happening the past few weeks, always around 2am or 3am and wakes me up.

I've been taking some ibuprofen, and eventually falling back asleep, but would rather not have to keep taking medication.

When I was pregnant with my child 3 years ago, I had a real problem with my sciatic (spelling?) nerve in my hips. Feels similar, but not the same.

Any suggestions?

Anonymous

I had the same problem in my left hip for a number of years and saw a wide range of health practitioners. The solution for me has turned out to be very simple: sleep on my stomach. This allows me to keep the leg extended. Maybe it won't work for others, but it's easy to try it. Back when I used to get the pain during the night, a solution was to get up and walk around for a while. Then I realised I could achieve relief by lying on my stomach (thereby mildly stretching out the psoas). I change position inevitably during the night but by favouring an on-stomach position I no longer experience night pain in the hip.

Anonymous

I have been having these same aches for the past few months and also in the past and until now I have never understood why I have these episodes. Having just read this article: http://www.calmmindpainfreebody.com/painfreebody/hipflexorstrategies/hip... I think I can finally make sense of it!
I do a lot of regular exercise and having recently given up running I have started rebounding (mini trampoline). My new regime does not include many stretches afterwards, only may a few obvious ones but I can see now how much I am using the hip flexor muscles and how little attention I have been paying to stretching them out. This would also have been true in the past when I used to use a cross-trainer machine every day. I am also guilty of sleeping with my legs drawn up which also contributes to shortened hip flexors. I am now going to include plenty of hip flexor release stretches following my workouts and perhaps before bed each day in the hope that they help to ease this miserable discomfort. Hope some of you find relief in doing the same.

I have had the same hip pain for many years, but 99% of the time it was only when I slept that I experienced the pain. it was so intense that it would wake me up. then today I found this.
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00409
it first started in my 30.s only happening rarely, then later in life more frequent.

Anonymous

I have had this same problem for maybe 2 years and I am 18, but I am a very active person and I swim competitively. Both my hips hurt at night sometimes one more than the other. I am a little over weight though, but I am working to take it off. Should I be concerned with this problem because of my age?

Anonymous

I am a 57 year old woman who goes through periods of being very active and then not so active. I have had hip pain at night off and on for the past several years. I get it whether i exercise or not. My pain does not radiate in my legs or back. The best way to describe it is a severe ache that feels like I have been sleeping on a cold wet ground (if you've tent camped you know what I am talking about). I do release exercises and I sleep with a pillow between my knees but still get no relief. It does not bother me during the day but oh boy, I nights are dreadful.

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Welcome to EmpowHER. Have you discussed this with your primary care physician? If the hip pain is preventing you from getting a restful sleep, it is time to mention this to your physician. With the aid of diagnostic imaging and a physical exam, the cause of your pain can be determined and treatment options offered.

Regards,

Do you or your neighbours have WIFI? If you have it, it might be worth turning it off at night to see if that might be contributing to the problem. Also, do you sleep near your mobile phone - if so turn it off or at least move it far away from your bed to see if that helps. I recently read that a huge percentage of mobile phone owners sleep with their phones on their pillows, even though mobile phone radiation is suspected of causing brain tumours! All this radiation we are exposed to these days is extremely unnatural and many believe it is causing us all manner of health problems, so I wonder if some of us are feeling the effects of radiation in our bones and tissues. Even the WHO (World Health Organization) recommends using wired instead of wireless technology, especially around children.

You can buy anti stress bedding that stops EMFs (electromagnetic fields) from passing through your body at night. You can also buy shielding material for your windows if you happen to live close to a mobile phone tower and/or power lines - apparently 95% of outside radiation comes in through the windows. Some people even go so far as to line their walls and floors with aluminium foil to block radiation out of their bedrooms. Oak is also supposed to block radiation, so oak floors or cork under your bed might also help. But if you are going to block out radiation, don't forget to remove or switch off anything inside your bedroom that might be emitting radiation. Otherwise you'll be blocking it in.

I don't have WIFI or a mobile phone, and the nearest mobile phone tower is nearly a mile away, so I suspect my hip pain was being caused by EMFs just from the wiring in the walls of my bedroom. I now use some of the anti stress bedding and it definitely reduced the pain I was getting so that I rarely experience any now, and when I do, it is barely perceptible.

I would love to see the research supporting the "oak floors" theory as it is a more dense type of wood it definitely does not stop radiation. Time distance and shielding material will stop alpha beta and gama radiation wood does not quite take the place of lead shielding.

As for the wireless Emr signals to cause a certain type of painful RLS symptoms... Good luck fishing that well as no definitive proof comes from this study either.

My sources I cannot discuss due to my security classification with what I actually do in my job. I have almost a growing pain sensation but it sounds like what is listed with a few other posts. Good luck to everyone and beware of causal suggestions with vague explanation for your pain.

Anonymous

I found huge relief doing what one comment suggested, and you can do it at home. Its called" hip flexor release". If you search those three words, you will find a number of YouTube videos and articles that provide various techinques for loosening the hip flexors. The one that works best for me is the myofascial techniques which uses a small ball. I happen to have a hard foam ball that I confiscated from my son. It works wonderfully. It provides a super deep muscle stretch of the hip flexors that all work the hip joint. Anyone who sits or stands alot (or sleeps on their side in one position) can suffer from these supportive muscles tightening up. Age can also make the muscles less pliable. Honest. Do yourself a huge, huge favor and look it up and try out some of the technique. They resolved my issue - no meds, no doctor, no cost, did it at home. Best of luck to each of you. I know the pain and it's miserable.

Anonymous

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2381003/So-THATS-waking-From-h...

I have the same problem I found this article helpful

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :