Hip replacements for women of child-bearing age. Good idea or bad idea?

By August 6, 2010 - 10:30am

Unfortunately, I was recently diagnosed with avascular necrosis of the hips, as well as my left shoulder and knee. I am "shopping around" for the right orthopedist right now to tell me what ALL my options are. As of now, I have to consider getting a hip replacement (on both sides)... I just celebrated my 30th birthday and I plan to have children in the near future. I would love to deliver vaginally of course, and so my question is, will the "new hips" allow for me to do so safely?

Hi anneseoni,

Thanks for much for your question!

I'm sorry you may be facing a hip replacement before having children (and being so young!) but you are doing yourself a wonderful service by researching your birthing options.

The good news is that a successful hip replacement often allowed for a very successful vaginal birth!

There are risks, however. Hip pain can be a factor for some women (about 14% according to one study and this pain continued for about half of that group after giving birth) and there is also a risk for further hip surgery needed after birth.

Your odds of a healthy pregnancy and vaginal delivery will depend on the outcome of your surgery - so the more successful that is, the better your odds are.

I'd like to link you to an article on the outcome of two studies on women who had total hip replacements and went on to give birth. I think you will find both are quite positive.

Make sure your doctor/surgeon knows of your future plans so he/she can walk you through each step.

And do remember to be prepared for a c-section if needs must. I know how important a vaginal delivery is to so many women, but in the end - it really doesn't matter to the women who ended up having to have a section; despite their best efforts. I can speak from personal experience here!

I wish you the best and hope to hear back from you-

the link to both studies is here: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CYD/is_8_38/ai_101495948/
and remember that every year, technology gets better!

Thank you so much for this feedback Susan.
I'm definitely going to look into the link you provided.

I'll reply again after I've done some more reading...
I actually have an appointment with an orthopedist surgeon in two days and I'll have even more info regarding what my options are, so I feel good about that.

I just wanted to say a quick thanks.
Please keep in touch.