How big should a brain anneurism be before surgery is performed?

My husband has a brain anneuris-(2.7) How long should we wait to have surgery? He has had one ruptured in February 2011 and mother and sister both died from ruptured brain anneurism.

Thank you for your post and I'm sorry about your husband's diagnosis. How sad and frightening that both his mother and sister have died from the same condition.

Considering their outcome, perhaps it's a good idea for him to talk to his doctors now about surgery. As you know, a brain aneurysm is a ticking time bomb for some and I can only imagine the stress both you and he are under.

You mentioned that his aneurysm size is 2.7. Sometimes doctors don't feel it's necessary to operate unless it's 3.0 or above but your husband is pretty close (and it doesn't HAVE to be over 3.0). Based on his family history, a visit to his specialist is a very good idea so that he and you can look into his options.

I hope that everything works out and please keep us updated, we'd love to know how things are going for you both.

Brain Aneurysm