How can I avoid recurring vaginal yeast infections?

By February 9, 2011 - 6:45am

Right now I use an estrogen-based vaginal cream (very low dose as recommended by my homeopath and GYN) on a regular basis so I am wondering if this plays a role.

Hi sharronnnyc

Thanks for your questions!

Hormones do indeed increase the odds of yeast infections so the cream you are using may be a factor. Did these infections increase once you started on the cream?

There are some ways to decrease your risk of yeast infections. They include:
■Dry the outside vaginal area thoroughly after a shower, bath, or swim
■Change out of a wet bathing suit or damp workout clothes as soon as possible
■Wear cotton underwear
■Avoid tight-fitting clothing
■Don't douche unless your doctor tells you to do so; it decreases vaginal acidity
■If you have diabetes , try and control your blood sugar
■Avoid bubble baths, perfumed feminine hygiene sprays, and scented soap
■Avoid frequent or prolonged use of antibiotics if possible

You can read a lot more here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/yeast-infection

Nutritionally, eating healthy yogurts and a diet that includes fresh fruits and whole grains can help. Avoid sweeteners, breakfast cereals, white pasta and limit alcohol.

With regard to supplements, try garlic, echinacea, acidophilus capsules and lavender.

I hope this helps!

Yeast Infection

Yeast Infection Guide