Weight Loss

ask: How can I combat post-gallbladder-removal belly fat and weight gain during menopause?

By Beth_Browning

Hello, in October 2008 I was well into menopause but had no real issues with belly fat or overall weight gain. Then I had my gallbladder removed due to painful attacks of my common bile duct, as well as gallstones. I am appalled at the weight I have gained since the surgical procedure. In fact it is so upsetting (none of my clothes fit) that I feel at times clinically depressed. I've never had to fight weight gain before. Now I have an "unsupportive spine" as well, and must take occasional bouts of oral steroids to control the inflammation. I also have had two spinal epidural steroid injections, and wonder if these injections could cause me to gain weight. Any comments would be most welcome. Thank you!

Anonymous

Okay seriously I had my gallbladder removed 10 years ago and gained 5 lbs of pure fat every year. I was officially 50 lbs over weight and it was a bodysuit of fat. Last year I saw a book that offered a 10 day detox and I did the 10 days and lost 15 lbs without any problem. This same author had another book that included detox information, meal plans and exercise. Well that's working too. I had become addicted to finding an answer. I take a mixture of supplements and drink liver detox tea daily. I was told by my Colonic tech that people without their Gallbladders need to do a liver detox often. She also stated we should not eat sugar, dairy, fried food, processed food or complex carbs like pasta or bread. Lol I'm now a Vegan and happy to say this belly and over hang are shrinking. Check out Green Smoothie Cleanse by JJ Smith and she has a website www.jjsmithonline.com If you have a good blender, juicer or anything similar it will work Good Luck and thanks for letting me know I am not alone :-) Here's the book my Colonic tech recommended...I love it! The Liver and Gallbladder Miracle Cleanse by Andreas Moritz. We don't have the Gallbladder but the Liver Cleanse was amazing and gave me a bigger boost. Ohhhh and buy a Pedometer or Fitbit to make sure you walk 10,000 steps a day and drink all the Green Tea you can stand :-) ok I'm finished . KarenAnn

Anonymous

Well I'm 15 and I go Friday the 16th to have mine out and I'm already at a weight of 230 and I've heard people say that they've gained and some people say that they've lost. And I'm worried to have it out because of that. And plus my vaul duct thing is pinched and I'm always in so much pain. And I'm so frustrated with doctors because I've had pain since July and thy kept saying it's a virus (I think that's their favorite word) because a 15 year old is to young for gallbladder troubl So is the surgery bad or painful?

Hey, sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery. I had mine about s year ago and regretted it. I mean I only had three gallstones I heard of women at 50 getting it out with like 10 gallstones. I'm sure if would have justvsaid no and changed my diet I could gave had a normal life still and my gallbladder still breaking down the fat in my body helping me. I was young and foolish and believed I didnt need my gallbladder but living it no I'd take it back if I could.

You will have some pain for a few days (the doctor will prescribe pain medication), but after that, the recovery is pretty quick:) You should listen to your doctor, who will tell you not to exercise or lift anything for two weeks. You will feel well enough, but do not push it:) Although the gallbladder is a small organ to remove, it is still surgery. Take the time to relax and catch up on some tv, movies and books or magazines! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Anonymous

http://mirandajorgenson.com/2014/07/is-your-gallbladder-or-lack-of-stopp...

This was a good article! It really breaks down what's going on in our post gallbladder bodies. I am 22 and 5'7 and am currently 235lbs. I had mine removed almost a year ago, and that along with a switch to high dose birthcontrol pills caused me to gain almost 30 lbs within 2 months! So frustrating, I just ordered the supplements that this article suggests and I will let y'all know how it goes. I am also joining yoga. Fingers crossed this helps!

Also, for those of you that still have your gall ladders and are having painful attacks, I found drinking a swig of Apple cider vinegar helped the pain a TON. i just kept it by my bedside.

Lizzy.

Anonymous

Hi everyone, I have been reading through the threads and have been very enlightened with all the information and feel for you all. I am going for testing tomorrow because my Gastro is telling me that I most likely have to have my gall bladder removed due to biliary dyskinesia. I've been to the er in agony twice recently. I also suffer from acid reflux and IBS. I'm already experiencing weight gain no matter how much I watch what I eat (everything bothers my stomach). It's also embarrassing to be in meetings when my stomach is constantly making gurgling noises lol. Can someone advise as to how I can avoid gall bladder surgery? I'd like to see if I can heal myself holistically.

The pain that you are having is from fat in your diet. It does not mean that you are eating more fat than a normal diet, but that any amount of fat may bother you. I found that I was pain free sticking to about 0-15 grams of fat a day. But that is not such a healthy way to live. You do need some fats in your life to have a healthy and balanced diet. I found some pretty good fat free foods like yogurts (frozen yogurt is almost as good as ice cream), fruits and veggies, plus some fat free processed foods. I was really good with my diet early on, especially since I was so afraid of having another attack. But soon I found myself eating a lot of foods that were low in fat but high in carbs. No good. I started to gain some weight because I wasn't getting the right balance of foods in my diet. It was killing me. All I wanted was a spoonful of peanut butter on my crackers instead of eating them plain. I decided to add more fats to my diet. I was pain free with 0-15, what was 5 or 10 more grams going to do? Um ruin my life. Adding those extra grams put me in a world of pain. I couldn't deal with the pain waking me up every night and I couldn't live on my bland low fat/fat free diet. I have recently had the gallbladder surgery to remove mine and I am already loving it. Besides a few days of post surgery pain and fearing that I would burst open whenever I sneezed, I am doing very well. I haven't gone crazy with adding fat to my diet again, I am going slow so my body can figure its new situation out. If you ask me, I would recommend the surgery. It is the only "cure" to stop the pain of gallbladder attacks. But if you are really not into getting the surgery, your best bet is to have a very low fat diet. It will take some time to figure out how much fat your body can handle because everyone is a little different. Try it out. If you can live on the low fat diet you should be pain free. But if you want a more normal diet and no fear of a painful attack I highly recommend surgery. Hope I helped a little and good luck!

Anonymous

hi everybody, lastweek I found on this site your information on how to lose weight fast and maybe that is natural is not pills or medicines that may harm you if you are interested belly can enter
this site here: http://weightlossmiss.com/lose-weight-fast/

Thank you so so much! Love this website and all the tips. I'm at a good weight...but I'm scared I may gain weight after my gallbladder is removed Monday.

Anonymous

What a relief to know that I am not alone! After having emergency gallbladder removal in June 2013, I have gained a whopping 20 extra pounds that I cannot get rid of! I too have become vegan as my body responds better and I can digest these foods better than meat and high protiens. I was always a low carber but I cannot tolerate the high fat content of these foods. Vegan works and although I am eating clean and exercising again, I cannot move the numbers on the scale. I refuse to buy bigger sizes and I don't recognize myself anymore. I just turned 50 and I never thought that I would be 50lbs. overweight with no solution. I have become desperate and considered weightloss products. I eat a less than 1200 calories a day and I cannot lose a pound.
There must be some solution. I want to have an appetite again and enjoy foods. I eat to live only.
Frustrated!

Do you have problems with your weight during the holiday season?:

Did you know that your Internet Browser is out of date?

We're sorry to inform you that you're using a really old web browser and we are unable to support it anymore. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below. -The EmpowHER Development Team

By closing this window, you acknowledge your experience on this website may be degraded

Close this window