ask: How can I combat post-gallbladder-removal belly fat and weight gain during menopause?

By Beth_Browning May 15, 2009 - 10:55pm

Hello, in October 2008 I was well into menopause but had no real issues with belly fat or overall weight gain. Then I had my gallbladder removed due to painful attacks of my common bile duct, as well as gallstones. I am appalled at the weight I have gained since the surgical procedure. In fact it is so upsetting (none of my clothes fit) that I feel at times clinically depressed. I've never had to fight weight gain before. Now I have an "unsupportive spine" as well, and must take occasional bouts of oral steroids to control the inflammation. I also have had two spinal epidural steroid injections, and wonder if these injections could cause me to gain weight. Any comments would be most welcome. Thank you!

I am 24 and modelled from the age of 16 up until I had my gallbladder removed. I was a size 8 before my surgery and in less than a year have ballooned to a size 14!!! I eat healthy and have been going to the gym since 18 religiously every week! I continued my normal gym healthy lifestyle as soon as I could after my surgery and have still somehow gone up 3 dress sizes ! It's draining and I've just come to terms with the gain and threw all my size 6/8 clothes out now :(

I am glad to read these comments. Not that I'm happy someone else is experiencing what am myself, but just to know that others are gaining weight after gall bladder removal. Mine was removed in January of this year. It is now November. As of this morning, I have gained 17 pounds. I have tried 35 carbs a day which used to work before and not only did not lose, but GAINED. So I went to 1000-1200 calories a day and GAINED. Then I limited both calories and carbs together for a few days and still GAINED. It's one thing not to lose, but to GAIN????. I am 70 years old and used to weight 143. Now it's 160. For a 70 year old, I am active physically and do use a treadmill. While I am overjoyed not to have the pre-surgery gall bladder pain anymore, I hate being overweight.

I am having all of these same issues with weight gain and an inability to rid my stomach of extra flab that was not present before the surgery. Everyone thinks I am crazy when I say that all of this started post-surgery, but it is the truth. What has worked for people to get rid of the belly fat and bloating? I already eat extremely healthy and I am very active; I am desperate and beyond frustrated!

I'm a guy but just wanted to add my comment. I appreciate all the info I have found here and it makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only once that has experienced this. I had my gall bladder out in May 2015 and almost immediately had an enlarged tummy. The docs said this would go down in time. My caloric intake has actually gone down since before my surgery but my weight has increased by over 20 pounds, mostly in my stomach. It's not gas but it is uncomfortable and unsightly to the point that it makes my angry to look at myself in the mirror. Friends have actually started asking my when I am due! I have always heard that people gain so much weight after they have this surgery but never believed it until it actually happened to me. I am going to give some of the suggestions here a try and see what happens. Pre surgery I could cut my calories for a few days and loose as much weight as I wanted, the belly was the first place to go. Now I can drastically lower my intake and I seem to gain. I want the scales to be my friend again. I actually thought someone had rigged mine to add weight but unfortunately its the truth. I'm glad I don't have the stomach pains I had before the surgery but I still have very upset stomach quite often. Sometimes I want my gall bladder back just for a few days so we could get rid of this load I'm carrying around! Hope everyone gets some resolve to their problems. :)

I thought I was loosing my mind. I had my Gallbladder removed in Oct 2012 and went post menopausal a year later. I have gained 20 lbs that I can not get off . I exercise 5 days a week sometimes 2x a day. I am on a very controlled diet and nothing works. I am going to try probiotics and see what happens, but I am at wits end.

Thank God you guys posted. I had my surgery June 26, 2015 and I have gained 15 pounds. Makes me sick. I was wondering why so fast. I never put on weight like this. 85% of my clothes don't fit. You all have given me hope. I am doing to try these supplements right away. Although I will mention that I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago. My body has been out of wack but I controlled weight. I worked out too. Gallbladder gave me many issues and weight gain was unstoppable. I am on hormone creams because I had a complete hysterectomy. I don't want to go through the change 100% yet. Too much for my body now. I am 44 and will wait in a few years. Want to get my weight under control. Has anybody been in the same boat with a complete hysterectomy? Did you go through the change immediately? How did it impact you?

Your comments are appreciated. PJordan Arizona

Having same issues would love to be in support group

Hi, I found this forum because I've been researching weight problems for the last 5 years. The research all points to inflammation in the small intestine as being the crucial precipitating factor--and one of the prime culprits for this is bacterial overgrowth. I then found out that bile is antimicrobial and is released even more during intense exercise- which is what makes that type of exercise so effective for weight loss. To check the importance of bile as an antimicrobial; I decided to look up whether gall bladder removal wd cause weight gain and --sure enough- found this site-- it does! The solution to this is to do everything you can to reduce bacterial levels, as you don't have the extra help of bile.
This would mean a low carb diet to starve the bacteria, possibly high fat- as this is anti-microbial. (not sure how that works with low bile tho) , antibacterial herbs, like berberine, turmeric, vinegar, regularly throughout the day, high dose Vitamin D - as this is antimicrobial, plenty of sleep as this increases antimicrobial hormones, Genistein- as phytoestrogens are antimicrobial. That's all I can think of at the moment. Good luck! :)

All true....I did this. Eliminated sugar, gluten, and dairy. Took vitamin D, and lost 9 pounds in 15 days. Amazing. No gallbladder for over a year and this worked miracles. The trick is good fats! Everything is normal now including my bowel movements!

Thank you! So helpful. I may be having gallbladder surgery soon.
There are so many thoughts on what are healthy fats. What did you use? Olive oil? and maybe something else? avocado? Thanks so much!

Weight Loss

Do you have problems with your weight during the holiday season?: