ask: How can I combat post-gallbladder-removal belly fat and weight gain during menopause?

Hello, in October 2008 I was well into menopause but had no real issues with belly fat or overall weight gain. Then I had my gallbladder removed due to painful attacks of my common bile duct, as well as gallstones. I am appalled at the weight I have gained since the surgical procedure. In fact it is so upsetting (none of my clothes fit) that I feel at times clinically depressed. I've never had to fight weight gain before. Now I have an "unsupportive spine" as well, and must take occasional bouts of oral steroids to control the inflammation. I also have had two spinal epidural steroid injections, and wonder if these injections could cause me to gain weight. Any comments would be most welcome. Thank you!

Donjoe

I had my gall bladder removed in 2008 and have problems with weight as well as nerve pain, constipation, headaches,
digestion, ridges on nails (indication of vit. deficiency) acid reflux, swollen glands, chronic fatigue, muscle weakness as well as pain and fibromyalgia. All of these things are related in some way. I have been trying to fix these problems for many years. I have found that I became vitamin deficient in most of my vitamins, especially fat soluble. My hormones became a mess. My stomach had terrible burning pain on the right side and also had terrible candida overgrowth in my body. I discovered that the weight gain was mainly water weight do to toxins from candida, toxins from vit. deficiency and an inability to remove toxins because of constipation. Over time I became aware of the lack of bile can cause most if not all of these problems.
Before I started taking anything, I had all of my emalgum fillings taken out and my gland swelling of 15 years went away in 3 days. These fillings were in my body ever since I was a child. It is possible that they are the main culprit to my gall bladder failure.
The next thing I did was to add HCL betain with gentian. I took this with every meal and by the third day I was nauseous, headache, a lot of muscle pain, chills, pooping a lot and eventually throwing up. After about a day or so I felt much better. I believe that the HCL got rid of either candida or parasites in my upper intestines or stomach. I felt much better after that .
I started adding methyl b12 once a day and gradually increased it to twice a day. The b12 has helped my nerve pain and fatigue and continues to help with this. I think it will take a few months to feel the full efect. To help with my chronic low fat soluble vitamins I began taking ox bile 125mg with each meal. So far the only thing I have noticed is issues of going to the bathroom often sometimes diarrhea. I read that this can be avoided by lowering the dose and then slowly increasing it so, I lowered the dose. It is likely that I am clearing much of the candida and unwanted beasties in my colon. I have slowly began loosing weight. I have been on the same clean, no processed food, organic whenever possible, lots of fresh vegetables, low carb, no sugar, no gluten, no white flour, complex carbs only for a few years with not much weight loss. It did help many of my symptoms lesson but never went completely away. I am hoping over the next few months that adding the HCL, ox bile, fat soluble and multi vit., good fats, and probiotics will finally rid my body of all of these complaints. It seems to slowly be working. I have more energy now than I have had for the past 7 years, no more burning abdomen, constipation is gone, muscle aches and pains are dissipating and nerve pain has calmed down a lot. I hope this helps someone.

Anonymous

I too have gained lots of weight everyone around me is working out and shrinking but I'm working out and gaining can anyone give me the link to the support group?

Anonymous

I thank every one of you, because I had my galbladder out in July 2014 and have gained 10lbs. I am 5'7" and never weighed more than 143, and now I'm at an all time high of 153. I exercise 3x's weekly and eat very clean. I don't eat alot of red meat. I am very depressed over this weight gain, and spent the whole day yesterday crying. Maybe we should all keep in touch, form a support group and coach each other in positive ways. Again thank you for making me feel that I am not alone in this. I am so happy I have found you all. Hugs to everyone and let think positive :)

I would love to be part of a support group. Im going thru the same things after my gall bladder surgery.

liverpatient (reply to Anonymous)

Has anyone talked with their physician about taking Wellbutrin for depression & weight gain? It has helped a number of people to manage two issues at the same time. Good luck.

I cant stop crying all the time now. I got my gall bladder removed in May 2014 and I have put on 37 lbs since then. My diet has increased manyfolds. I get sudden, massive hunger pangs and I just need to eat a lt. If I try to eat less, I get that hunger pang again in less than an hour. My life is ruined :(

I can truly relate to the hunger pangs and increased eating with weight gain. I realize everyone is different but what helped my hunger pangs was Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. I make a warm beverage first thing in the morning. I grab a mug fill with water and microwave for about 1 minute. Place 2 tsps of vinegar and add stevia to taste. Some people use honey but I use stevia to keep the calories down. Then I do the same thing between lunch and dinner to stave off my hunger pangs. The only exception is my afternoon beverage is cold not warmed(just a preference). You may do this up to 3 times a day, whenever your hunger pangs hit. Be sure to rinse your mouth afterwards, due to the acidity in vinegar. I hope this works for you! Also, my doctor suggested a more high protein (to help to feel satiated) and low-fat snacks/diet, for weight loss and compensate for the lack of a gallbladder . I gathered from our conversation, my body is more apt to turn fat into fat because those acids/enzymes to break down the fat are missing. You are obviously not alone. I used the above suggestions and lost weight. Let me know if this helps. Thanks!

diana50 (reply to Anonymous)

Your life is not ruined. You will loose the weight, join us in a online support group. It may be depressing but we will all loose the weight.

I am also in the same boat as you all. I have gained 50lbs since having gallbladder removed and liver resection in 2011. I also had bilateral mastectomy a year before. I never had weight issues before. My surgeon was afraid that I was to thin for the surgery. I am at my lowest point in my life. I have tried everything and nothing seems to work. I am so depressed. I latterly am starving myself and I still gaining weight. If anyone out there knows something that will help please let me know. Thanks praying that this will change. I want to also say it is comforting to know that I am not the only one going through this nightmare.

I am having the same issue. I have had my gallbladder out since 2012 and I have gained weight.. before I had the surgery I could lose weight fast. I took phentremine 37.5 and lost 68 lbs in less than 8 months back in 2008. I retried that same prescription and to my surprise I freaking gained weight. So i did research and saw that almost every site I visited talked about taking ox bile if u have had ur gallbladder out. So i ordered some. I am waiting for them to arrive. I pray this helps me. I eat less than 1000 calories a day and exercise and my scale only moves one way UP..

Weight Loss

Do you have problems with your weight during the holiday season?: