ask: How can I combat post-gallbladder-removal belly fat and weight gain during menopause?

Hello, in October 2008 I was well into menopause but had no real issues with belly fat or overall weight gain. Then I had my gallbladder removed due to painful attacks of my common bile duct, as well as gallstones. I am appalled at the weight I have gained since the surgical procedure. In fact it is so upsetting (none of my clothes fit) that I feel at times clinically depressed. I've never had to fight weight gain before. Now I have an "unsupportive spine" as well, and must take occasional bouts of oral steroids to control the inflammation. I also have had two spinal epidural steroid injections, and wonder if these injections could cause me to gain weight. Any comments would be most welcome. Thank you!

Anonymous

I thank every one of you, because I had my galbladder out in July 2014 and have gained 10lbs. I am 5'7" and never weighed more than 143, and now I'm at an all time high of 153. I exercise 3x's weekly and eat very clean. I don't eat alot of red meat. I am very depressed over this weight gain, and spent the whole day yesterday crying. Maybe we should all keep in touch, form a support group and coach each other in positive ways. Again thank you for making me feel that I am not alone in this. I am so happy I have found you all. Hugs to everyone and let think positive :)

I would love to be part of a support group. Im going thru the same things after my gall bladder surgery. My email address is klimeskids@yahoo.com

liverpatient (reply to Anonymous)

Has anyone talked with their physician about taking Wellbutrin for depression & weight gain? It has helped a number of people to manage two issues at the same time. Good luck.

I cant stop crying all the time now. I got my gall bladder removed in May 2014 and I have put on 37 lbs since then. My diet has increased manyfolds. I get sudden, massive hunger pangs and I just need to eat a lt. If I try to eat less, I get that hunger pang again in less than an hour. My life is ruined :(

I am also in the same boat as you all. I have gained 50lbs since having gallbladder removed and liver resection in 2011. I also had bilateral mastectomy a year before. I never had weight issues before. My surgeon was afraid that I was to thin for the surgery. I am at my lowest point in my life. I have tried everything and nothing seems to work. I am so depressed. I latterly am starving myself and I still gaining weight. If anyone out there knows something that will help please let me know. Thanks praying that this will change. I want to also say it is comforting to know that I am not the only one going through this nightmare.

Anonymous

I am having the same problems. I've gained 60 lbs in a year and have NEVER had a problem with my weight.

I found this site...it may actually help http://mirandajorgenson.com/2014/07/is-your-gallbladder-or-lack-of-stopp...

Anonymous

I had my surgery over an year ago and for many months I suffered with diarrhea. I had to go immediately the restroom after eating certain foods. Then, this problem suddenly went away and another problema came: weight gain! I put on 10 pounds in 3 months and I have been trying everything you can imagine to lose it and nothing works =[ I go to the gym every single day, I eat a lot of health food (of course I eat chocolate sometimes...), but I have reduced my meals in half size. I am extremely frustrated and disappointed. I so much prefer diarrhea than weight. I just don't know what to do anymore... And I enjoy eating. I don't want to drink smoothies all day because I can't eat anymore. Please, help me! If you guys have faced the same situation let me know if you have suggestions.
Thanks

Anonymous

I had my gallbladder removed last Wednesday,
and so far recovery is going well! Slow, but no problems so far! Yesterday i left the house for the first time since surgery. Thank to the informative article that help me to recover!
galdbladderhelp.com.

Anonymous

Hi
After having problems over a few years of the horrid uncomfortable pain, after my last bad bout of pain my gall bladder was so badly infected they removed it finally two weeks ago today by keyhole. I had not eaten for the week before, just slept, was practically out of it. I was admitted & given strong antibiotics, dyhydrocodeine and morphine pre op. After op I was so relieved, the medication dulled any pain, within a few days I could stop taking any painkillers. I had a gentle swim today. The four points of entry for op are healing nicely. I am relieved that so far I am having no problems whatsoever. My mother, my brothers have all had the same procedure. None of us are grossly overweight or put on lots of weight. I am hoping by being sensible, giving my body every chance of recovery, I will be the same. My experience post op has been good. In fact I am going back to work on Tuesday (light admin job). So its not the end of the world. I know not all can say the same, we are all different but my message is that its not the end of the world. There are lots worse off. Good luck.

Anonymous

My dear epidural dnt make you gain weight its your liver that's causing you to gain weight.

Weight Loss

Do you have problems with your weight during the holiday season?: