How can I get a cardiologist to actually do a full workup.

I have been to three cardiologists, they all take an EKG, BP, Temp and WEight, and look at my year old stress test, which was horrible, and the immediate angiogram which was done over a year ago and send me on my way with "your fine" Every single female in my family has died of heart related issues. I currently am experiencing frequent left chest pain that goes through to my back and up my neck, nausea, dizziness, extreme tiredness, and am no longer able to do the thngs I enjoy. My blood pressure is 86/62 one morning and 120/76 the next with no activity, My heart races for no reason and I get nervous when it happens. I wake up choking and unable to breath. Jan 2012 CT SCan for PE showed mild aortic atherosclerosis and July CT Scan shows diffuse aortic atherosclerosis. I am worried, and do not know how to proceed.

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry you are dealing with both physical chest pain and the stress of being worried about your health.

Many hospitals offer full cardio check ups for a flat fee. This is something you can do on your own, if your doctor's don't refer you. You will have to check into whether your insurance will cover it and call around to see what hospitals or heart health centers do this.

I also think you need to find a cardiac specialist who will sit down and talk with you about your health history and test results, rather than refer you somewhere else or tell you you're fine. If you don't feel good, then you're not fine and you need further care and testing. Don't let yourself be given a pat on the back and moved along. As I am sure you know, heart disease is the number one killer of women in this country yet some doctors still actually have the mindset that it's a "man's disease" - ridiculous.

Please take more control over what's going on and insist on further testing. Be firm. This is your right as a patient, especially with your family history.

Heart Disease

Heart Disease Guide