How can I get rid of acne spots?

By HERWriter March 30, 2016 - 9:48am

Growing up I dealt with bad acne. My breakouts have calmed down since, but I still have a lot of acne spots. What are some tips you may have on getting rid of them?

Hi Kyley

Acne occurs when the pores of the skin become clogged, inflamed, and sometimes infected. These clogged pores can result in blackheads, whiteheads, or pimples. Acne tends to occur in teenagers, but can also occur in adults.

Some acne can be hormonal in nature - say around the time of your period. Some can be due to not washing your skin properly, not removing makeup or from weather conditions. A lot of sweating can cause acne, especially on the forehead and nose area.

Cleaning and moisturizing your skin every night is important. Acne creams can be used, just use a little so you don't dry your skin out. You can take your pick from many over-the-counter choices. You can also opt for prescription medications if your acne is severe or on-going. Be patient, it can take several weeks to see changes.

Plenty of water and a fresh, unprocessed diet can help clear the skin and make it glow. Fruit and vegetables are great for this. You can also use scrubs or face-masks to clean your pores. Here is a great article on home-made cleansers and scrubs: http://www.empowher.com/skin-hair-amp-nails/content/8-diy-skincare-tips-will-save-you-fortune

We also have an article with lots of suggestions that can help with adult acne here: http://www.empowher.com/acne/content/adult-acne-women-more-options-explore

I also recommend using clean towels and wash clothes and changing your pillow case at least once a week. Don't use the same make up sponges over and over and facial powder puffs/applicators should be changed regularly. Use fresh foundation - not old stuff you've had in your drawer for a year. Make-up does expire and old makeup retains bacteria - this increases your risk for acne.

Don't worry if a pimple pops up just now and again. It's normal - very few of us have flawless skin. But if your acne gets worse or becomes a regular thing, talk to a dermatologist.

I hope this has helped!

Acne Guide