Osteoarthritis

Osteoarthritis Guide

ask: How can I heal my hip? Doctors say there is no way but I know better! Basically I'm talking about Ostio arthritis

A year ago some doctors said I'm going to lose my hip and they don't know what caused it. I'm athletic, forty three and a health nut. I've been looking for answers for a year now, it's not any better and I've tried all kinds of supplements and eat a very healthy diet. There must be something causing it in the first place and some way to stop that and start regeneration of the cartilage. I need to find these answers, thanks!

Diane Porter

Anon, welcome to EmpowHer! And thank you for your question!

When the doctors told you you were going to lose your hip, did they give you a reason why? I am assuming from the rest of your question that you have lost cartilage there -- but are you in pain?

Cartilage can't actually heal itself. Once you've injured it, or lost it, or damaged it, it's basically down for the count. But there is research going on in regeneration and repair of cartilage that you might be interested in. Here's a good explainer:

http://osteoarthritis.about.com/od/osteoarthritisresearch/a/cartilage_re...

Have you seen a doctor that specializes in sports medicine? In my experience they are very used to having patients who want to stay active, avoid surgery when possible, but recover quickly and actively from surgery when it's necessary. I'm wondering if a sports medicine specialist might be of more help to you?

Here's a page on cartilage regeneration, from the Sports Medicine Service at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York:

http://www.hss.edu/conditions_14186.asp

And another, from the Sports Medicine and Shoulder Service at Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard University:

http://www.orthojournalhms.org/volume1/html/cartilage_repair.html

Where do you live? Do you have access to sports medicine doctors and/or a research university?