How can I heal my toenails?

By January 24, 2012 - 9:51am

Have very thick toenails and they curl under at the corners almost creating a folded nail. Some are discolored and so thick I can't cut them. My big toenails also are lifting from the front to the nail bed, any suggestions?

Hi ijerryterri

Healthy nails should be clear colored with the "half moons" of our cuticles showing and be free of excess skin and any dirt. Nails should not be thick and should be easy to cut.

Thick, yellowed nails are often a sign of fungus and it sounds like this could be the issue for you. Loss of toenails can also be a tell-tale sign of a fungal or bacterial infection.

These fungi can come about for several reasons; a bad pedicure experience, wet socks, something picked up at a pool or locker room, a lack of overall nail care, or generally being in a situation where the organisms can get under the nail bed.

You can read a lot more on nail fungus here, including causes, symptoms and treatments: http://www.empowher.com/condition/nail-fungus

Treatments include oral medication, creams or a new method that is done via laser. Bear in mind that it can take a few months for the nails to become healthy again.

It's really important to note that diabetes may be the cause of your unhealthy nails and is, for many people. Do you have diabetes? If not, please talk to your doctor about being tested. And if you are diabetic, make sure the person treating your nails knows you are diabetic.

Otherwise, a qualified doctor or podiatrist can help as the nails will not become healthy by themselves - but please - also ask to be evaluated for diabetes. 

I hope this has helped and thanks for writing!

Nail Fungus