Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

ask: How can I help dandruff?

By Jenny Housh HERWriter

I shampoo my hair every other day, but always seem to have flakes in my hair. Because of this, I have started washing my hair twice when I do shampoo (once with dandruff shampoo like Selsun Blue and once with a better-smelling shampoo). Is there anything I can do to help my head stop flaking? 

Hi Jenny

Firstly, I would advise you to stop washing your hair twice. This is very drying for the hair. Dandruff shampoo can really help with dandruff but many now have really good scents like Head and Shoulders Classic Clean. My husband uses this and it smells great and gets the job done! 

Remember to use it every day (start washing your hair every day for a while, use a good paraben/sulphate free conditioner to prevent dryness) until your dandruff stops.  hen you can go back to washing every other day. 

We have a great article about why people get dandruff and how to treat it. Take a read here: 

http://www.empowher.com/dandruff/content/information-dandruff?page=0,0

Jenny, don't forget that your scalp is a continuation of your skin. If it does not clear up within a month or so, consider seeing a dermatologist. 

Has this helped?

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: