how can i help my dad with his foot they want to cut it off but they really dont know why and whats rong with him

By Anonymous December 17, 2010 - 5:24am

please help me my dad took care of us and made sure we had the best life possible its not fair to take away somthing from him i have faith and i thank u for your time

Thanks for your question and for looking out for your Dad like this. He sounds like a great guy.

His issues could be related to anything from diabetes to a flesh eating disease to a cancer.

Do you know if your Dad has diabetes? How sudden is all this?

Doctors should know why a limp or extremity needs to be amputated and I am sure they do - there may be gangrene involved or another issues but they will know!

They must have told your Dad something - can you ask him or have him access his medical chart/records? He has a right to see them.

Amputation can be avoided in some cases, using what's known as hyperbaric oxygen therapy that essentially keeps the foot alive (amputated feet are usually "dead" and need to be removed as they can cause other body part to "die" too.)

Please talk to him or his doctors as soon as possible and make sure there are NO alternatives to amputation. But amputation may save his life - it all depends on what condition he has. Don't forget to check into diabetes too.

I hope to hear back from you soon and again, thanks for advocating for your father!