How can I lower my cholesterol?

My cholesterol has risen from 5.8 to 6.0. I would like to know which foods or supplements would help to lower it. My GP wants to put me on statins but I would like to avoid these if possible.

I'm 73, have a part time Caring job and weigh 11st 5lbs. I have been losing weight - it was once 13st 7lbs.

Thank you,

Thank you Susan, I've now become a member of Empowher and will visit the site regularly.
I'm pleased I can have the occasional cheese sandwich as I really enjoy one now and again. At the moment I'm afraid to eat much at all, just concentrating on chicken, vegetables and fruit mainly. However, being 'good' all the time isn't much fun, so the cheese will stop me feeling like a martyr! I will, of course, use wholemeal bread.
Kind regards,

Hi Valerie

Welcome to EmpowHer and congratulations on losing all that weight!

I think it's a great idea to go the natural route before choosing medications and we have lots of information for you on this subject!

We have some really good articles that talk about foods that help lower cholesterol. Take a look at them here:

For 10 ways to naturally lower cholesterol: http://www.empowher.com/high-cholesterol/content/10-ways-lower-cholesterol-naturally

And we have countless more!

Will you take a read of these and let me know what you think?

Thanks for your advice, Susan,
I will keep the email and refer to it regularly. I am hoping that losing weight will help lower my cholesterol and I won't have to go on to statins. I know which foods are most likely to sent it soaring but will try to concentrate on the ones which don't.
Fortunately, I love fish and fresh vegetables but that doesn't mean I don't occasionally crave a cheese sandwich (cheese was once one of my bad habits and I still love it!) At least I've got out of the habit of having it regularly.
Thanks again Susan. I will follow your advice and welcome any more tips you may have to share.

Valerie, I am a cheeseaholic! I absolutely love it!

I don;t think the occasional cheese sandwich will hurt - my three kids had cheese (Gouda) sandwiches for lunch today and I'm partial to Boursin, Gorgonzola cheese and nothing beats a great sharp cheddar cheese salad sarnie! (I hope I'm not sending you running for the fridge right now!).

I'd love if you did follow a lot of the tips given and let us know what your score is after your next doctor visit!

High Cholesterol

High Cholesterol Guide