ask: How can I stop having boils on my inner thigh and buttocks?

I have tried using Itchammol, Campho-Phenique, Tea-tree oil, and several other remedies, however, I have no luck. This is an embarrassing reoccurence that I have endured for several year...PLEASE HELP!!

Anonymous

Have any of you been checked for MRSA infection? MRSA in the form of "boils" love to hang out in the groin, armpit, nose, and buttocks area. It's a mild infection of the skin, but should definately be treated by a physician and cultured. The boils will reoccur for years, unless you treat and "try" to erradicate the bacteria from your body.

Plus MRSA is contagious and can get much worse.

Anonymous

Sounds great

Anonymous

So I should try to use acen face wash down there cause I have a boil and it hurts to sit down

Use the Neutrogena Acne wash to get rid of it but try to incorporate that into your daily regimen when washing because they do come back but you can minimize the severity using Neutrogena everyday. Also, Echinacea-goldenseal is good too. Combined together they should keep you boil free!

Anonymous

I started using a facial cleanser that had acne medicine in it. It cleans out poors and has medicine to treat and prevent acne. I know that boils are caused from oil and dirt in a clogged pours. So everyday while in the shower I would wash my inner thighs with it and after a week or 2 I had smooth healthy looking inner thighs plus no boils. I used Neutrogena oil-free acne wash. It's orange. It's a bit pricey at $12 for a 6oz bottle but it does last a few months. More importantly it solves my boil problem. It's very potent so once a day is plenty. If you have a bad break out of boils then I would do twice a day for a week then back to once a day. Plus wash while in the hot shower your pours are open. You can just add that to part of your shower routine.

Anonymous

I too have had that problem for over 10 years. But I noticed when I was smaller and my thighs didnt rub together as much that i had fewer occurances. Also had less occirances when my appartment didnt have a shower so i could only take tub baths.

Christine Jeffries

Hi MizLadiKim,
Glad you are getting some relief from home remedies. Keeping up with those treatment and prevention methods may help keep it under control and avoid large outbreaks.

In the event you do have an outbreak, even without insurance and especially since the passage of the Affordable Care Act, you should be able to see a doctor if needed. Here are a couple links to help you locate public programs and state agencies providing care to underinsured patients like you.
Check it out:
http://www.healthfinder.gov/scripts/SearchOrgType.asp?OrgTypeID=8&show=1
and http://www.healthcare.gov/

Christine Jeffries

Thank you for your question and for finding EmpowHER. Here is information about treatment and prevention of boils from EmpowHER's condition encyclopedia:
Treatment
Your doctor can drain the boil if necessary and treat the infection with antibiotics.
Home treatment may include:
Warm Compresses - Apply warm compresses to the boil for 20 minutes, 3-4 times a day. Depending on the area of the body affected, you may be able to soak the boil in warm water. These measures can ease the pain and help bring the pus to the surface. Once the boil comes to a head, repeated soakings will help the boil begin to drain.
Lancing the Boil - Do not pop or lance the boil yourself. This can spread the infection and make it worse. If the boil does not drain on its own or it is very large, you may need to have it drained or lanced by your doctor.
Cleaning and Bandaging - Whether the boil drains on its own or was lanced by a doctor, you must keep it clean. Wash it with antibacterial soap and apply a medicated ointment and bandage. Clean the affected area 2-3 times a day until the wound heals completely.
Prevention
To help prevent boils:
- Practice good hygiene. Wash boil-prone areas with soap and water or an antibacterial soap. Dry thoroughly.
- Clean and treat any minor skin wounds.
- Avoid clothing that is too tight.
For more information, check out this link: Boils Information
Good luck and let us know how else we may be able to help you.

MizLadiKim (reply to Christine Jeffries)

Thanks Christine! Unfortunately I don't have health insurance so going to visit a doctor isn't in my budget right now...however, I have tried all of the above at home suggestions...they still reoccur...just not as large.

Anonymous (reply to MizLadiKim)

I have learned what causes my boils and it has nothing to do with keeping clean or tight clothes. It has to do with what I eat !! Start a food journal with a symptom journal. Its not easy to pinpoint but here are the foods that I've learned to avoid to keep the boils gone. First is peanuts and peanut butter. Second is coconuts. I can put coconut oil on my skin but if I eat anything with coconuts in it I will have boils by the next day. Yhird is almonds. Delicious slivered almonds on a healthy salad and by the next day I have several boils. Same with sunflower seeds which I lolove! If sunflower oil is an ingredient in something that I only eat a little of, then I will have a boil. Ugh. Cashews do it too, but they dont seem to be as painful. I hate to cut out foods that I love but it sure is nice being free of boils for the first time in over 30 years. Wish I could get this info to all boil sufferers.

Boils

Boils Guide

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :