How can I stop my rebound headaches (daily) created by taking Excedrin. I can't tolerate my pain in the morning

By June 11, 2008 - 7:23am

Happy to find this great resource. I'm having minor surgery in a month and was told "no aspirin" for a month prior. I panicked thinking I couldn't do this as I take at least 4 excedrin - generic CVS brand/per day. Since May 1 I've awakened with a headache every morning that's turned into a migraine which I treat with Imitrex. It goes away, and instead of taking the excedrin during the rest of the day I've been taking 200 gms of caffeine which have kept my headaches away. Hoping soon the morning migraines will disappear.

Anonymous, I have the same problem with every day headaches turning into migraines. I have two questions. Is your doctor giving you enough Emitrix to take every day? My doctor and insurance co only allow me 18 pills for three months. That is because they are extremely expensive and also cause damage to other organs. So I am taking exceedrin throughout the day as I cannot stand the pain. My doctor has told me that it is not the aspirin we are addicted to, it is the caffeine. So taking caffeine in another form does not cure our problem. I feel so desperate and I am destroying my stomach! What is you thoughts on this?

I have been taking 2 advil or tylenol for the past 20 years almost nightly and that is about when my migraines started. I know now about rebound headaches and I know this is what is causing mine. I am going to stop taking the advil cold turkey and see what happens. Wouldn't it be great if this is the root of my migraines for all these years?

Maybe we should all get together and start a class action suit against the makers of Excedrin? This doesn't seem right that there isn't a warning about being addicted to an over the counter pain medication! What do you all think?

I think that with any meds, we are responsible for ourselves. We can do research. Going around suing companies because we haven't solved our health problems isn't going to accomplish anything.

I agree about doing a class action lawsuit get ahold of me my wife is going thru this rebound headache deal right now with excedrin..

I get really bad migraines so I started taking a exderin and now I get a super bad headache every morning that i think may be caused from the exederin but if i don't take it it turns into a real full blown migraine! I don't know what to do! Plz can you help me too!

I was a daily excedrin taker for YEARS, and I took it first thing in the a.m. after I woke up. Some days I was taking 3-4 a day for rebound headaches. I knew for a long time this was bad for my body and don't want to think about the damage to my liver, but I have been able to mostly stop. It was hard at first, but in the morning now I feel like I need something with caffiene in it so I drink a small glass of iced tea, which has less than coffee. If you get a headache try to wean yourself off by taking plain asprin, and having some caffiene. That was how I gradually weaned myself off. I still get occasional headaches and Excedrin seems to be the only thing that works, but I am not taking it on a daily basis and going through bottles like I once was before and that feels good. You will feel so great when you go weeks without taking it!!

I have been weaning myself also. Was taking up to 8 Excedrin/day. Now I am pretty much off Excedrin and just take a couple of aspirin. Today I just took one aspirin, and went to the chiropractor (had an appointment anyway for back), who helped me somewhat. My kidney levels are off, and my doc said that I HAVE to get off the Excedrin. Have taken it for 30 years, same as others here (would get a migraine if I didn't take it). I remember when I was expecting my second baby I had a migraine for 3 weeks. Couldn't take anything for it and was miserable, despite massages and physical therapy. But after that, I only got migraines if I didn't get enough sleep. Then over the years I started having to take more Excedrin again. At first I thought that maybe it was a hormonal thing since most of the migraines stopped after that terrible 3-week period. Now I think that my drastic decrease in migraines may have been because I went 'cold turkey' in getting off of it. I am going to get off even the one aspirin within a week, and if need be, go to an urgent care center if I get a migraine. Caffeine helps, but I don't take too much. Need to get off of that too (have never been a coffee drinker, but had tons of Coke Zero/Diet Coke until the past year). Ahhh --- paying for poor health habits is catching up with me. Had a friend die of taking Excedrin like we do. :(

Hi i am having the same problem.
About 4 years ago I was diagnosed with mild ulceretive colitis
and was prescribed Asacol. The main side effect of Asacol is headaches. As soon as I started Asacol the headaches started.
Execdrin made the headaches go away in a matter of 10 minutes
then the headaches became more frequent and so did the excedrin.
About 2 years ago my colitis went away and I stopped Ascol. But by that time I was getting headaches daily and taking execdring daily.
I never took more than 2 doses a day (4 pills). This past June I was sick of these headaches and went to my general physician to address this issue. Blood tests and MRI results were unremakable.
My doctor said "i am not worried about excedrin poisoning" and did not address the problem and basically ended the meeting.
Tommorow I have scheduled a appointment with a headache specialist. I want to get off execdrin!
Any advice

Headache Guide