Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

ask: How Can I Whiten My Underarms Naturally?

By sardonyxmemoirs

I have no idea why I have dark underarms. I bathe and scrub twice a day and I use a whitening deodorant (Nivea). I thought it was the hair at first, but even after I shaved the color remained the same. I tried plucking. The same happened.

I noticed that other girls my age (that I personally know of) have this issue as well, some even appear to have more severe conditions than mine. But then, all those teen celebrities I see on television of magazines seem to have perfectly normal, even toned armpits. Am I missing something? Do these celebs have certain secrets of do I and all my female teen acquaintances just have unhygienic practices?

Also, what could be causing my parts of my clothes near my underarms to stain? Is it my sweat or my deodorant? It's very embarrassing, plus almost everyone now thinks I don't take a bath or something.

Thank you for your time and more power.

starlight16

I have this problem too! I'm light skinned and my armpits are getting darker as time passes by and it's not pretty. At first i thought it was the deodorant i was using so i changed it, but it didn't make a difference. Then i thought it was the razor so I started using a cream, but didn't work either. A couple of days ago i was told that by mixing baking soda and lemon and putting it in my armpit at night, without any type of chemical on, eventually it will begin to lighten up. I haven't tried it yet, but will start one of these days because its kind of embarrassing to wear a spaghetti strap and when i lift my arms it looks like i haven't shaved.
I hope this does work :)
Let me know if it works for u

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide

incyst- Thanks so much for writing - it's important information! Here's an article from one of EmpowHER's writers that will also interest readers: http://www.empowher.com/acanthosis-nigricans/content/do-you-have-acantho...

incyst

Dark skin under the arms, around the neck, and in the groin can be a sign of insulin resistance. The clinical term for this condition is acanthosis nigricans. You can Google it to see if the photos that come up look like what you have. If that's what you're seeing, You may wish to show it to a physician, as left untreated it can develop into diabetes.

Hi Sardonyxmemoirs

Firstly, never think teen stars on TV or magazines don't have the exact same issues as you. They do. However, they have a team of makeup artists and stylists who wax them, bleach them, change their eye color with contact lenses, make them wear Spanx to cover bulges, put a bus load of make up on them, hide freckles and put hair extensions on. And that's BEFORE all the photoshopping!

Many people have either a lightening or darkening of pigment on various parts of their bodies. Are you naturally light or dark skinned? If you are dark skinned, you can check out this link for some great info on this subject : http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/black-skin-buttocks

If this bothers you, you can always talk to your dermatologist to see what he/she can do for you. She may be able to use some form of bleaching under your arms or provide you with a skin lightening cream. Bear in mind, this may be something you just have to live with but give treatment a try to see if it works.

With regard to stained clothing - this is common and can be caused both my sweat and/or deodorant. All you can do is use a bleach on your white shirts in the wash to see if it'll rid you of the stains.

Tell me what you think!

sardonyxmemoirs (reply to Susan Cody)

Thank you for your advice. Now that I think of it, it does make sense that teen stars don't look exactly like how I see them on T.V or on the magazines.

I'm Asian so I have medium skin tone though, kind of tan.

I've never heard of this darkening pigment thing, it was informative.

Thank you for the stain thing too, I feel a lot more normal now.

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: