How can you tell the difference between a pelvic inflammatory disease and an ectopic pregnancy?

By September 26, 2011 - 2:53am

I have had pain on my right side like menstrual cramps. It sometimes feels like it is also in my lower abdomen. I have never had pain like this except for when I miscarried my first child. I have nausea, cramps, breast tenderness, vomiting, back pain, fatigue, but it is too early to take a pregnancy test. What should I do? I am so confused and in so much pain.

Hi Nikki8780

You need to rule out pregnancy but if it's too early to test, then this kind of pain may not be due to that since it takes about 10 days to become pregnant from sex. You wouldn't feel anything yet. When is your period due? You would need to rule out an ectopic pregnancy quickly - as you know, it's a serious thing.
For more, click here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/ectopic-pregnancy

Do you have a diagnosis of PID or are you wondering if you may have it? Has this pain just started or has this been going on for a long time?

Symptoms of PID may include:

■Pain in the lower abdomen
■Vaginal discharge with a foul odor
■Nausea or vomiting
■Painful intercourse
■Painful urination
■Irregular menstrual bleeding

If you suspect PID, or have any symptoms, see your doctor immediately.

Because symptoms are often subtle or nonexistent, PID can be difficult to diagnose. There are no specific tests for PID.

If PID is suspected, the doctor will ask about your symptoms, as well as your sexual history, partners, and birth control methods. The doctor may perform a general physical exam, as well as a pelvic exam. The pelvic exam is key to making the diagnosis. Samples from the vagina or cervix may be taken to help diagnose the problem.

Tests may include:
■Cultures of the cervix—to test for STD organisms
■Blood test—to check pregnancy status and to check for infection
■Ultrasound—a test that uses sound waves to visualize the inside of the body
■Laparoscopy—insertion of a thin, lighted telescopic tube through a small incision in the abdomen to look at the reproductive organs

For more information, click here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/pelvic-inflammatory-disease

I hope this helps, please keep us posted!

Well, I went to the doctor and he told me it was IBS. He gave me some fluids, and a medication called Dicyclomine. Thanks for the info on PID.