Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

How do I find out if there are current studies in my area for this bone treatment option?

By Anonymous May 2, 2009 - 11:10am
Rate This

I'm 44 and went into menopause due to chemotherapy treatment. I am now on Arimidex alone, but I am very encouraged by the studies being done on osteoporosis prevention in conjuction with hormone therapy. How can I locate any groups in my area (Madison, WI)? Thanks!

Add a Comment1 Comments

HERWriter Guide

Hi Anon

Thank you for your question and good for you for being so proactive about your own health! I did a preliminary search for you, using the criteria you mentioned and did not come up with anything for Wisconsin but this information can change daily. What I could not find today may be found on Monday!

However, this doesn't mean that there isn't a study going on in Illinois or Iowa or Minnesota that may be a reasonable distance for you. A good resource for you is the Clinical Trials website. You can find it here : www.clinicaltrials.gov. Just put in your condition and state and it'll will take it from there. It's very easy to navigate. There are thousands of trials going on at any given time.

The UW Health Osteoporosis Clinical Center and Research Program may have some great contacts for you. You can call the Center at (608) 263-5010 and you can call the Research dept at (608) 265-6410. They also have a number to call specifically regarding studies - it is (608) 263-BONE

Another idea is to contact pharmaceutical companies to see what they can offer. They conduct trials all the time. Here are some of the larger companies. They all have areas on their websites that will help you in finding information about trials they are planning to conduct.

Glaxo Smith Kline:



Aztra Zeneka

Contact local hospitals in Madison - living in a college town is actually a great advantage!-

University of Wisconsin

Meriter Hospital

St Mary's Hospital

If you call them, ask to be put through to the department that deals with osteoporosis or menopause/women....or let them know you are inquiring about clinical trials. These departments may be conducting trials themselves or know of others that are.

The Wisconsin Women's Health Foundation may also be able to help you. Luckily, they are located in Madison. Their phone number is (608) 251-1675 and their email is wwhf@wwhf.org. You can visit their website at www.wwhf.org. They have a section on osteoporosis - the direct link to this page is here : http://www.wwhf.org/hi_osteoporosis.asp

The National Osteoporosis Foundation has resources and information - find them here - www.nog.org . Although this is a national organization (I believe it is located in Washington DC), they have local affiliates than they can point you to. You can call them toll free at 1 (800) 231-4222

Also - ask your doctor for help. They are often privy to planned studies.

Good luck to you and please let me know if any of this information is helpful.

May 2, 2009 - 12:24pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.


Get Email Updates

Menopause Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!