How do I help my wife deal with her hot flashes?

By June 27, 2014 - 9:41pm

My wife started having hot flashes over the last few months. She is very good about telling me about them and my natural reaction is to just stay away. Is there anything I can do to help her while she is experiencing a hot flash.

Hi John

Thanks for this post! You sound like a great husband! 

My first reaction to what you said was that you are doing the right thing - stay away (unless she needs you). 

Hot flashes can cause an enormous amount of sweat (literally, pouring from the body) and it can be very difficult at the time, scary when they first start and also - embarrassing. 

Most women pray for others to ignore it and give them privacy. Hot flashes are normal - a women doesn't need any "help" in these terms. Honestly, I think the vast majority will let you know if they need help and most want to deal with them alone. 

However, if she's ok with it, hand her a cold compress and a glass of water. Don't panic and don't keep asking her if she is ok - she is, but it sucks at the time! You will be able to gauge what to do because you know her personality. 

Be there if she needs you. You can read her better than anyone else. 

Read more about hot flashes here: 

Thanks again for your question - it's nice to see a concerned and loving husband out there! 

Hot Flashes