How do I know if I have abnormal vaganal bleeding ?

By Anonymous February 19, 2016 - 3:45pm

hi, I'm Abbie..
I had my normal period about two weeks ago and yesterday I started bleeding again. I have a really weak bladder and sometimes it happens that I "leak" a little bit of urine just before I go ( I always wear pantyliners.. ). Well I had this feeling yesterday but I know I didn't have to go. I went anyway and discovered bright red and watery blood on the pantylines. At first I thought it could've been my period but I have grown suspicious about this. It's a almost consistent flow of watery blood and is bright red so it can't possibly be spotting. How can I know for sure what this bleeding is ?

Hi Abbie

How old are you? If you are under 18 your period may be adjusting itself - it can take several years for a young woman to develop a regular pattern. Most then do and some don't.

You know your bleeding is normal when it happens every 21-35 days with the average cycle being about 28 days. This is a normal period/normal bleeding.

Any other bleeding is not considered "normal" unless you are a young teen, a woman in menopause or you are the post-partum period which can last a few months. Even then, if it continues it should be reported to a doctor.

We have an article here on why a woman may get a period every two weeks, you can check it here: http://www.empowher.com/menstrual-cycle/content/reasons-having-period-every-two-weeks

If this is the first time this is happening with you then monitor the situation and if this bleeding continues, put a call into your doctor.