How do I know for sure my body needs blood pressure medication and can I just stop taking it?

Several months ago my blood pressure bolted quite high and stayed that way for a couple of weeks. I went to my clinic to check it out and they put me on blood pressure medication. Since then, my BP has been quite low, sometimes as low as 85/53. I honestly don't think I need the medication to regulate my BP, I think I was going through a tough time when it was high. What can I do to figure this out?

Thank you for your question - it's a great one!

Firstly, I'm glad to see your BP has come down since you've been on medication, although obviously you don't want it to get too low.

Do you know what triggered your BP to rise in the first place? Knowing this can help us help you more. When you say you were going through a tough time, can you explain that a little?

Also, do you have any other medical conditions that you know of?

Your doctor should also have provided you with a nutritional guide that helps you understand how to naturally maintain a healthy blood pressure. Were you given this guide?

For some guidance in this area (lifestyle/diet and exercise) click here: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-blood-pressure/HI00027/rss=1

Here are some delicious summer foods than can help lower BP

Don't go off your medications without talking to your doctor first. Make sure your diet is low in fats (especially saturated) and salt - salt can raise BP through the roof. De-stressing exercises like yoga, Pilates and meditation can also help.

You and your doctor may need to decide if you can go off your meds by a process of elimination. It may take a month or two but a healthy diet and exercise specifically to lower BP may be all you need. If you have extra weight, weight loss can be instrumental in lowering your pressure.

Again, don't remove yourself from the meds until you consult your doctor but take heart that a life without BP meds is possible for many people who once battled high BP, and also very preferable!

Does this information help you?

Will you update us?

High Blood Pressure

High Blood Pressure Guide