How do I master the perfect "messy bun" hairdo?

I have been trying to master the trendy hair do where all of your hair is twirled up on the top of your head in a messy perfect way..aka the messy bun. There are so many resources out there giving tips and tricks to nailing this hair style, but I'd love to know your "HER") favorite tips!

Before you do your bun your could back comb your hair, this will help it stay in for longer.
You could also try the sock bun/doughnut bun method. For this you will either need an old sock or a doughnut bun. My go-to style is usually a sock bun! It gives the illusion of a more voluminous bun! You cut off the toe of a sock and roll it into the shape of a doughnut. Then you put your hair in a high ponytail and stick the doughnut into the ponytail. Take the ends of your hair and start tucking them under the doughnut and roll as you tuck. Once you've rolled all the way to the base of the ponytail you can just scrunch up the bun a little and pull out a couple strands to make it look messier. It turns out really cool and it's easy to do.

I have long hair and like a messy bun! I am not a stylist but my tip is to do it quickly and not look in the mirror! When I try too hard, my bun doesn't work. 

When I do it when busy and not concentrating on it, I catch myself in the mirror later and it look great. 

Scoop your hair up and put it in a ponytail - pull your hair through the pony tail until it's almost out again but don't pull out, stop when your hair is still secure. This is your bun. You can leave the ends of hair as they are, or wrap them around your hairband so you have a ring of hair covering the band. 

Gently pull around your head so you have wisps of hair hanging down by your ears and lift your hair up on the scalp so you have "bigger" hair on the scalp, and it's not tight. 

Then you have your messy, beachy hair in a bun - perfect for days you don't need or want to take a shower in the morning. 

Beauty Guide