How do I sanitize my nightguard?

OK. Here's a totally gross story.....I was in my bathroom the other night and I saw a COCKROACH climbing out of the container where I store my nightguard mouthpiece that I wear every night for my TMJ. Needless to say, I was totally grossed out! I have been soaking it in Listerine, but I still can't bear to put it back in my mouth. Is there any other way I can sanitize it? I need to start wearing it again...my jaw is hurting!

Ok, I have to agree with you on this one: gross! I think I can handle a lot of gross things in my life, but cockroaches are not one of them!

I think you hit the nail on the head with Listerine. I soak out toothbrushes in mouth wash every few weeks to clean them and I think this is all you need. That or good old hot soapy water.

Your mouth guard will be perfectly fine after a good cleaning, it's the mental visual of seeing a cockroach in it that's the problem. Everytime you put it in your mouth, you'll picture....well, no need to say it.

But your mouthguard is important - you're going to have to use it. You can just stick it in your mouth, picturing the roach and all, and grin and bear it (something like "immersion therapy") or do something really weird (not gross) with your mouthguard that will offset the memory of the bug crawling in it. Put it in a fruit salad all day and keep looking at it, or stick it on the side of your computer, your head or some other odd place that will cause that to be the memory rather than the roach.

There is no bacteria to worry about anymore from the roach, trust me. It's all in your head, where most of our fears are. I don't blame you for being grossed out but you are perfectly safe to pop the guard back in, you just need to get the roach off your mind!