ask: How do you decide testosterone dose? What is average dose?

By Anonymous February 11, 2009 - 9:12am

Diane Porter

Here's the transcript of an interview with Dr. Susan Rako, the author of a book called "The Hormone of Desire:
The Truth About Testosterone, Sexuality And Menopause" and an expert on women and testosterone. I'll link to the transcript, but here's what she says about testosterone dosage:

"Usually, I recommend that women begin by using testosterone in petrolatum (Vaseline) compounded by a compounding pharmacy at 2% strength, directly applied to the genital tissue in order to jump start the response -- and then, after a couple of weeks, to switch over to a low-dose (oral) preparation compounded to order."

Here's the full transcript:

Yes low. Yes post menopausal. I have heard conflicting things. I want more energy, better metabolism, less weight distribution around my middle, Weight 105 lbs. What's an average dose?

Diane Porter

Hi, Anon, and thanks for your question.

Can I ask you a couple of questions?

Have you had your hormone level tested and have learned that you are low on testosterone?

Are you in perimenopause or menopause?

What symptoms are you hoping the testosterone will help with?

Let's see what we can find out for you.

Menopause Guide

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :