How do you know if you have a concussion?

I hit my head

Via Unsplash

I hit my head and it hurts. Shortly after I hit my head I got a headache and i'm not sure what is happening (if I have a concussion or not). It's a few days later and my head still hurts and I feel a little dizzy. Should I go to the doctor? What do you suggest?

I was in a car accident and i hit my head. The impact caused a minor cut in my scalp with bleeding. It has been two days and my headaches are the same and if not worse. I also feel fatigue, am sensitive to light and noise, and sometimes throughtout the day I feel dizzy or as if im not mentally available. I was wondering if i should get checked out ?

Get checked out immediately. This is a concussion.

Yes, you absolutely need to be checked out. Head injuries can cause long term injuries and you are showing symptoms of concussion or brain damage. Please see a doctor straight away or go to the ER.

Thanks for your question and welcome to EmpowHer! I am sorry to hear about your injury and hope you recover quickly. The symptoms of a concussion include headache, loss of consciousness at the time of injury, memory loss, dizziness, drowsiness, balance problems, sensitivity to light and nausea or vomiting. You may also be slow to respond to stimuli.

Concussions can cause swelling in the brain, brain injury and death. However, most concussions do not cause major injuries. You may have developed post-concussion syndrome, which is characterized by headaches and dizziness that lasts for weeks after injury. Most post-concussion syndrome symptoms clear up in less than 10 days, but it can persist for up to a year in extreme cases. If you suspect that you may have suffered a concussion, or have developed post-concussion syndrome, please visit the doctor immediately.

We want to know that you're ok. Please check back and let us know how you are doing.

Warm Wishes,

Anonymous (reply to Shanon L)

i hit my head twice on tuesday and im still dizzy, unbalance, tired, headache, nausea, and senstive to light.

Did you have a coccison?

Headache Guide