How do you know when someone is starting to wake from an anoxic brain injury?

My fiance has been in a vegetative state since September 25 2015. He was diagnosed with anoxic brain injury. He can brain his own now eyes open on a trac. Though he still doesn't talk or move. Can people wake from this and how do you know when the brain starting to heal? He is now 44 years old.

Hi Buttons78

Thanks for reaching out to EmpowHER with your question.

For the benefit of other readers, anoxic brain injury is a type of brain injury in which the brain becomes damaged from an inadequate supply of oxygen. If it is hypoxic, the brain only has a partial loss of oxygen, but if anoxic, there is a complete lack of oxygen going to the brain.

Without oxygen, the brain cells become damaged. The Mount Sinai Hospital noted that at about four minutes without oxygen, the brain cells begin to die.

Recovery and treatment may depend on the cause of the injury. How did this happen to your fiance?

That is he can open his eyes is a good thing and yes, people can recover from this injury. His team of doctors will be able to tell you more about his brain activity -what level he has and if improvement will be shown. Please ask them for further information as every patient is treated on a case-by-case basis.

Read more here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/anoxic-brain-injury

His eyes open he feels pain. He knows when I am in the room. Though he can not move or respond to anything i ask him to do. He grunts at me but can't talk. He had a heart attack and I don't know how long he went wo oxygen. The doctors say there is nothing more they can do for him. We have a 6 year old son and it hard for us. I was just wondering how you know that they are coming back? Thank you for responding to me this is so hard for me.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Buttons78)

Hi Buttons78

I can only imagine how hard this is. Especially with a 6 year old child and both of you so young.

To be very truthful, some people don't come back from this if their brain was without oxygen for too long. Others do come back but it's a long recovery.

If the doctors say there is nothing else they can do, what is the plan? Is he still hospitalized? Is he getting any form or physical therapy? Is there a long term plan being sorted?

Also how can u tell if the starting to recover.

He gets some therepy everyday I also work with him. I want to bring him home. He is in a nursing home right now. I want to know what kind of test I could ask for to see if his brain is healing. He is not brain dead I think he went wo oxygen for 10 to 16 mins if not shorter. He called me @ 10:53 am they got to him @ 11:09 so somewhere between that time it happened. they told me he had little brain waves but he isn't brain dead. So is there any other tests besides an eeg to find out if he healing? That's all I want to know so I know if there is any hope at all but either way I will take care of him.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Buttons78)

Hi Buttons78

Unfortunately we cannot say if there are other tests other than brain scans. That information needs to come from a brain specialist and will pertain your fiance's current situation. You will need to sit down and meet with a specialist who is working with him. He or she can give you this information, we do not have those kinds of patient-specific resources on EmpowHER.

My heart really goes out to you and your family -please stay in touch with us!

Anoxic Brain Injury