How does the morning after pill and birth control affect my period?

By Anonymous February 21, 2011 - 9:56pm

I was out of the country and stopped taking birth control because it was more convenient not to worry about it. When I returned, I started taking it again. Less than a week into starting over, I had unprotected intercourse so I took the morning after pill immediately after. Fast forward two weeks, my period is late. Should I be concerned? I'm freaking out but I feel like that isn't going to help anything.

Dear Anon,

Plan B can definitely change your period. It can cause your period to come shortly after taking the pill or it can come late. However, because you had unprotected sex if your period is late you can take a urine pregnancy test if you wish.

Hope this helps!