How to get rid of a clogged duct under the breast?

By July 4, 2016 - 4:27am

I've been having trouble getting rid of my clogged ducts (yes more then one), it started with one on top of the breast , but now I also have one under my breast by my ribs. I am starting to worry thinking maybe it can be more then just a clogged duct of how big and painful the clogs are getting I have been to the emergency twice in 3 days they proscribed antibiotics for the mastitis but nothing seems to help. I'm desperate at this point!

Hi Itsliz

Thanks for your post! This sounds very painful.

Were you given a diagnosis of mastitis? It sounds like this is what you have. Are you breastfeeding?

Mastitis is inflammation of the breast and is seen almost exclusively in women. It is especially common among women who are breastfeeding. Mastitis usually affects only one breast, but may affect both breasts.

Mastitis occurs when a milk duct in the breast becomes blocked, or the skin around the breast nipple becomes cracked. Both of these situations allow bacteria to enter and infect the breast tissue.

Antibiotics are generally used to treat the infection and there is evidence that they may reduce the duration of symptoms. Whether antibiotics are necessary for a cure or to reduce the risk of more serious, but rare complications, such as bloodstream infection, is unknown.

If mastitis does not respond to antibiotics, a localized collection of pus called an abscess might be present. This is usually treated with antibiotics and a drainage procedure or surgery. The bacteria known as Staphylococcus aureus is responsible for many cases of bacterial mastitis and most abscesses, but in recent years “staph” has become resistant to many of the commonly used antibiotics. Resistant bacteria have so far only rarely been reported in association with mastitis, but it seems likely that antibiotic resistance will eventually be seen in mastitis, probably requiring a change in the usual antibiotics chosen for this infection.

You can also try warm compresses and a lot of massage.

Itsliz, if you're not feeling better then you need to return to the ER to see what can be done - you may need further treatment. They may even "pop" these clogged ducts for you. Don't let this continue f it looks like there's no recovery in sight.

Read this EmpowHER article here, I think it will help you! http://www.empowher.com/breast-conditions/content/mastitis-what-do-when-you-ve-acquired-breast-infection

Thank you so much.
Yes I did get diagnosed with mastitis. I've been putting a heating pad and massaging with olive oil but this is my first time ever experiencing something like this so I'm not sure what lump is the clogged duct I have multiple lumps. My babies never latched but I pump every two hours to feed them .

Can't Find Something?

ASK Moderation Guidelines