Q: 

How to handle a dad coming home drunk?

I came home from college this summer and have been having some issues with my dad. He will come home from work drunk. What's really frustrating is my mom or I will confront him about it and he gets upset saying "I'm not drunk or I didn't drink anything." I've confronted him about it when he's sober too and he still denies it. We've even used a breathalyzer before when he is acting drunk and it reads that he does in fact have a high level of alcohol in his body. He acts very rude and says hurtful things when he is drunk too which is upsetting.

It's a really overwhelming situation for me at times because when my dad's sober he's a great guy to be around. But to me it's really upsetting that he would get drunk on a regular basis and cause so much stress and pain to his family. I don't want my mom or brother to have to deal with this situation when I'm away at college either. And I hate for the situation to continue in a cycle of my dad getting drunk, everything seeming fine when he's sober, then him doing the same thing again. Do you have any advice for what I should do in a situation like this?

Anonymous

Thank you so much for the help! I appreciate it.

Addictions

Addictions Guide