How important is it to have a meal plan when recovering from anorexia?

By April 8, 2010 - 11:56am

I'm currently a month into my own recovery battling with anorexia. I am not currently seeing a therapist (but I am going to eating disorders anonymous), and also currently do not have a nutrionalist. I think I'm doing better, but I dont know if I'm gaining properly, or not enough, etc. I cant afford to see a N, is there a generic meal plan I should be following?

Hi Lionschickie

Thanks for your question and welcome! Congratulations on beginning your road to recovery!

It's good to see that you are attending meetings but a meal plan is important for you.

As an anorexic in recovery, you probably know the calorie count and fat content of nearly every food but you need to reeducate your mind and your body about food anyway. How healthy and important it is for you and that food is your very good friend, not your enemy. You'll need to learn or relearn about healthy body image, as well as how to avoid triggers that may affect your recovery.

You need help right now from specialists in eating disorders. I'd like to put you in touch with the National Eating Disorders Association. Not only can they help you with nutritional needs, they can also set up additional support groups for you and find nutritionist for you for very low costs - all in your area.

You can contact them for general information here: www.nationaleatingdisorders.org

You can contact them for immediate help here: http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/get-help-today/

or call them at 1.800.931.2237

Please let us know how things go and know that we're here for you anytime for support. But right now I think you need to check in with professionals in this area who really understand where you are coming from and have years of experience. We hope to hear back from you soon!

Anorexia Nervosa

Anorexia Nervosa Guide