How to know when Premarin or another HRT is affecting your memory?

By Anonymous April 20, 2009 - 8:22am

In my 50s I had a hysterectomy and have been on Premarin ever since. I like the good effects it has given me -- bone strength and etc -- and I've been very happy with it. However, it's been more than two decades now that I've been taking it and I'm starting to have some memory loss. Nothing alarming -- more like I can't find the right word I want at the right time. I know that we all lose memory as we get older (and I do do things like crossword puzzles for my brain and 5x week exercise for my body) but my question is how can a person tell if their memory loss is normal memory loss for their age or if a change in hormones would help?

How long would it take if my doctor changed my hormones for me to see a difference in my memory skill if the problem is the hormones?

And if I change hormones, and later decide to change back to Premarin, is there any problem with that?

I have been taken off premarin after 25 years after 4 weeks I had terrible sweats about 4-5 times dailyand almost all night having to get up and change my night wear.I also forget words in a conversation which are far more sever than everbefore.How can I buy premarin on lineAnne Campbell

(reply to Anonymous)

Hi Anne,
Can you tell us why you were taken off premarin (assuming this was "doctor ordered" and not your preference?), and now are trying to seek a way to purchase it online (without your doctor's knowledge?).

Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

Ihave been told by the doctor told I must come off Premarin after taking it for 25 years after a hysterectomy, I feel fine on it taking a half of 0.625 per day, I have tried to come off it but had night sweats, hot flushes and felt dreadfull. What are the benefits of coming off Premarin as apposed to staying on it?

Your question about how does a person differentiate between normal age-related memory loss and loss than can be eliminated by changes in medication or hormones etc is a really good one!

I am assuming by your post that you are in your 70s now and yes, some memory loss can be considered a 'normal' part of the aging process. Good for you for keeping up your physical and mental exercises.

A Women's Health Initiative study did find that there was a slightly elevated risk of dementia for women using Premarin than those who took a placebo.

The only way you would truly know would be to stop the Premarin and see if you notice changes in your memory. And only you and your doctor can decide if this is the right thing to do.

You will need to ask yourself if the benefits of Premarin outweigh the possibility of memory loss. If it has been working for you, you may elect to increase your mental and physical exercises (although I should think five times per week should suffice!). Have you tried taking Ginkgo Biloba? Many people swear by it's memory enhancement properties.

Since we don't know your overall health and history, your doctor can go through the effect of stopping the Premarin and starting it up again if you choose to.

I am linking you to a discussion about this subject and it includes going off Premarin. You can click here : http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/if-you-have-total-hysterectomy-immediately-start-hrh-what-happens-when-you-go-hrh

Will you let us know what you decide?

Memory Loss

Memory Loss Guide