Q: 

How long does hidradenitis suppurativa boils last, is this to be expected every month?

Over the last few years I noticed boils, (armpits, breasts and groin area) usually a different area each month. These boils appear around the time that I would have had my periods. The boils on the groin are painful. I fear that a vein or vessel may get infected. Is there something which I could take, such as vitamins, foods, liquids?? to decrease the outbreak. I have been going through menopause for three years now, and do not care to take any hormone replacement drugs. My family doctor is aware of my condition, although I hesitate to show the boils on the groin area. What can you suggest in the line of natural threapy?

Anonymous

I've had it for twenty five years. I've found that I need to eat no grains, no dairy, and no nightshides. It's pretty restrictive, but totally worth it. I have sores now, but they're all related to accidental ingestion. If I don't eat these foods, I don't get any flares.

Anonymous

Hey! Has anyone else posted on here recently? It's been a long time I know!

Anonymous

I have been suffering with this disease since I went through puberty. I am now 45 years old. I have only had one surgery and it didn't do much good. The boils will show up in one area for a few months (when I get my period) and then will shift to a different area of my body. It almost completely went away while I was pregnant with my son and came back after I gave birth. It was awful while I was pregnant with my daughter. I absolutely agree that it is hormonally linked and an endocrinologist may be more helpful than a dermatologist. Anything that will reduce inflammation in your body will be helpful.

Anonymous

It sounds like you have Hidradenitis supperative. I have had the condition for about 5 years now, Google it so see your options. And see if the symptoms match.

Anonymous

I suffered with boils during the time of my cycle as well and I put Boil ease on it as soon as I feel it. I use about a teaspoon twice a day after bathing and it goes away and doesn't get any larger. Before I started using the cream, the boil under my arm prevented me from putting my arm on my side.

Anonymous

I too have been dealing with this since puberty and I'm about to turn 30. I've tried everything except surgery and what I've found to be very helpful are the following;
- daily turmeric in pill form (make sure you get good stuff, not the vitamin shoppe crap...it should be a nice deep golden color, not bright yellow, Organic India is the brand I take and I order it online)
- Daily zinc supplements (make sure you eat with it because it can upset your stomach)
- most importantly I follow a gluten free diet...it makes it 1,000 times better and I only have flair ups when/if I eat gluten.
- also if you're dealing with a large spot, make a paste with the turmeric from the capsules and apply it directly to it, use medical tape to hold a gauze in place over it...if you do this before bed, by morning it should be open and draining...unless you have a huge spot like I do now, in which case, by morning it will have come to head...keep applying turmeric until it opens and then use a hot compress to encourage drainage and to keep it clean. Once it is open, stop apply turmeric directly on it and just continue taking the pill form.

I know this post is old.. but I had been dealing with a large boil for some days on my armpit from the disease and found this post after trying to search for any sort of relief from the pain. I saw your response about turmeric and others saying how it worked so I instantly went to cvs to get the capsules. I made some paste by just mixing the turmeric and some water rubbed it on the boil and covered it. Within an hour the boil started leaking and I almost cried. Thank you so much for sharing!

How many mg of turmeric are in the capsules you buy?

I too just started getting a boil the same time my period starts. Perimenopause is my guess. Tumeric is the key. I also use it as a paste and the boil opens up extremely quickly depending on it's size and the whole thing is over within 2 days instead of weeks. Highly recommend the tummeric paste!!!

since reading your post I have since bought the organic india turmeric on amazon. and i did use it a few times as a paste and was absolutely amazed with the results of the paste!!! thanks for the info. My husband is Gluten free because of a wheat allergy. I don't know if I could do it. I cook GF but have occasional gluten things with my kids. it's so hard to change of to strictly GF. i'm sure the pills would help me more if I were to actually take them everyday! I am always forgetting.

Boils

Boils Guide