ask: How long does it take for birth control to wear off once you've stopped taking them?

By Bri189

I had been on an ultra low dose of bcp for 15 months. Dec 26, 2010 was my last pill. I had re-ordered a prescription to find out it wasn't available the day I went to the pharmacy. I was leaving for a vacationthe next day for 3 weeks. I was not on anything while away and still have not started a new cycle of pills. I'm waiting until after I finish my next period. If I were still on my pills I would have gotten it today, but still haven't. I'm assuming I'll get it on the 24th like last month.

Hi Bri!

Thanks for your question-- Birth Control isn't one of those medications that "wears off". Once you have stopped taking them, you are no longer considered "protected". However, it can change the date when your period arrives because it is no longer occurring based on "withdrawal" like it did when you were on the pill. If you had unprotected sex while on vacation and after AND you miss your period this month, you may want to consider taking a pregnancy test at home. The thing about birth control is that it can take one woman 1 month to get pregnant, while it may take another 4-5 months. It's all a matter of your body coming back to its ovulation cycle.

Best Wishes!

Bri189 (reply to Rosa Cabrera RN)

Thank you so much for your help. I've actually been inactive since last Oct so I'm not too worried about being prego. Although it is frustrating knowing when I will begin my new pills. I don't want to take them in the middle of the week or before I get my period for this month becuz I assume it will throw my period date off. I plan to take it the first Sunday after I finish my upcoming period. Do u think that would be a good start?

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: