How long does the risk of DVT last AFTER you stop taking BC Pills?

By December 16, 2009 - 9:09am

My father has a history of DVT and to this day has problems with DVT. I am 36 and stopped taking my birth control pills in Oct 2009 due to my age, no sexual intercourse and my family history. I am overweight but have lost over 60lbs and continue to workout and lose, my blood pressure is perfect 122/74 and the last physical I had my cholesterol was normal. I am wondering how long is the risk for DVT once you STOP taking oral contraceptives?? Thank You.

Dear kelkel73

Thank you for your question and for taking good care of yourself!

Congratulation on losing the 60 lbs - that's huge (no pun intended!). Good luck with the rest of your weight loss goals.

You are right - birth control increases your estrogen intake and thus increases your risk of DVT. The effects of birth control will end anywhere from a couple of weeks to three months.

For most women, it's somewhere in between those time frames. Your estrogen levels will go back to where they were before you started the Pill.

Do bear in mind that your family history will always keep you at somewhat elevated risk for DVT.

Empowher offers some tips on DVT prevention :

* Not sitting for long periods, such as in a car or airplane or at a computer (get up frequently and move around.)
* Not smoking

If you are admitted to the hospital, talk to your doctor about how to prevent blood clots, such as:

* Getting out of bed and walking as soon as possible during your recovery
* If you are restricted to bed:
o Doing range of motion exercises in bed
o Changing your position at least every two hours
* Wearing compression stockings, which promotes venous blood flow
* Taking anticoagulant medication if advised by your doctor
* Using a pneumatic compression device (a device that uses air to compress your legs and help improve venous blood flow)

Kelkel73, please also visit our DVT page here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/deep-vein-thrombosis

and tell us what you think.

Does this information help you?

Blood Clots

Blood Clots Guide