Low Back Pain

Low Back Pain Guide

Cary Cook BSN RN

ask: How long will it take to recover from a lower back injury after a car accident?

Hi,
I was involved in a car accident about 1 month ago. The car accident involved a van and another car. My car was last to be hit. I have experienced a sharp throbbing pain constantly to the lumber region of my back almost immediatley after the accident. i was take to hospital and had an x-ray (no broken bones to my back) Since I have been struggling to stand or walk for periods longer than 20 miniutes. I am also struggling to bend over and twist round. I am experiencing cramping in my right leg, although not constantly. I have had 1 month off work so far. I am keen to know how long it will take my back to recover and what is causing this pain in my back. Please help.
Many thanks
Kirsty Brown

Anonymous

i injured my back at work at went to see my gp in and he sent me too a physio i want to join the army im only 21 and this was over 1 year ago she said it was a starined muscle in my lower right back i can still feel ah little bit of pain in my sometimes in just comes and goes when i stretch my hips forward i feel this slight pain and a kinda crunching sound in my lower right back just above my hip i was wondering if you could help and what is causig this thanx

Hi Kirsty

There is no definitive answer to your question. Injuries though accidents have no average recovery times or general treatments. It all depends in the kind of injury to your particular body.

Kristy, you need to get yourself to a doctor straight away for several reasons.

You may have a serious but undiagnosed back or leg injury that needs medical attention. Adopting a wait-and-see plan will do more harm than good.

You may need physical therapy, or even surgery but you will not know until you get a proper diagnosis. Just because you have no broken bones does not mean you have no injuries.

You also need to make sure that you are covered financially. Injuries like this can cause people to lose their jobs or insurance and if you were not at fault, the other party's insurance company needs to be contacted.

Please contact your doctor's office straight away and set the wheels in motion so that you can receive the help you need and also make sure that you are protected financially.

When you update us as soon as possible?